Learn 1000s of English words with our vocabulary builder.
What Is Anastrophe? (with Examples)Anastrophe is the deliberate changing of normal word order for emphasis.
Examples of AnastropheHere are some examples of anastrophe:
- She stared into the dog's eyes deep and menacing. (Normal order: She stared into the dog's deep and menacing eyes.)
- On a black cloak sparkle the stars. (Normal order: The stars sparkle on a black cloak.)
- Bright he was not. (Normal order: He was not bright.)
A Quick Test
- This test has questions.
- You will score at least 5 points for a correct answer.
- You will score bonus points for answering the questions quickly.
- Be careful though. Wrong answers score 0 points.
- The maximum score is .
Yoda's Speech Is Anastrophic
- "Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealously. The shadow of greed, that is." (Yoda)
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?