What Does "Dutch Courage" Mean?"Dutch courage" is an English idiom. It means "false bravery induced by alcohol."
Examples in SentencesHere are three examples of the idiom "dutch courage" used in a sentence:
- He needed some Dutch courage before he could face the crowd.
- After a few drinks, his Dutch courage made him sing at the karaoke bar.
- It's just Dutch courage; he wouldn't dare to do that sober.
A Quick TestYou now know what "dutch courage" means, but are you good at English idioms? Let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?