What Does "Gunboat Diplomacy" Mean?"Gunboat diplomacy" is an English idiom. It means "the use or threat of military force or aggressive tactics as a means of diplomacy or negotiation to achieve political goals."
Examples in SentencesHere are three examples of the idiom "gunboat diplomacy" used in a sentence:
- During the crisis, the country resorted to gunboat diplomacy to assert its territorial claims in the region.
- Gunboat diplomacy can sometimes backfire, leading to heightened tensions and conflict instead of peaceful resolution.
- The international community condemned the nation's use of gunboat diplomacy, urging diplomatic dialogue instead.
A Quick TestYou now know what "gunboat diplomacy" means, but are you good at English idioms? Let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?