What Does "Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder" Mean?"Absence makes the heart grow fonder" is an English idiom. It means "being away from someone or something increases the affection for it."
Examples in SentencesHere are three examples of the idiom "absence makes the heart grow fonder" used in a sentence:
- They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, and I realized how much I missed my family while I was away.
- He went on a year-long trip, and when he returned, it was clear that absence had made the heart grow fonder.
- Many long-distance relationships prove that absence makes the heart grow fonder.
A Quick TestYou now know what "absence makes the heart grow fonder" means, but are you good at English idioms? Let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?