What Does "As the Crow Flies" Mean?"As the crow flies" is an English idiom. It means "the shortest distance between two points, without considering obstacles or terrain."
Examples in SentencesHere are three examples of the idiom "as the crow flies" used in a sentence:
- The next town is 10 miles away as the crow flies, but the road twists a lot, so it's actually 15 miles by car.
- The mountain looks close, but that's as the crow flies.
- It's only a mile as the crow flies, but it takes much longer to hike there.
A Quick TestYou now know what "as the crow flies" means, but are you good at English idioms? Let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?