What Does "At the Drop of a Hat" Mean?"At the drop of a hat" is an English idiom. It means "immediately; without any hesitation."
Examples in SentencesHere are three examples of the idiom "at the drop of a hat" used in a sentence:
- He's always ready to help, at the drop of a hat.
- They'd start arguing at the drop of a hat.
- She's packed and ready to travel at the drop of a hat.
A Quick TestYou now know what "at the drop of a hat" means, but are you good at English idioms? Let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?