What Does "Bat an Eyelid" Mean?"Bat an eyelid" is an English idiom. It means "to show a very subtle reaction, if any, to something that typically elicits a stronger response."
Examples in SentencesHere are three examples of the idiom "bat an eyelid" used in a sentence:
- He didn't even bat an eyelid when they announced his name as the winner.
- It's amazing how she doesn't bat an eyelid in stressful situations.
- Even when confronted with the accusations, he didn't bat an eyelid.
A Quick TestYou now know what "bat an eyelid" means, but are you good at English idioms? Let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?