What Does "Belly Up" Mean?"Belly up" is an English idiom. It means "fail, go bankrupt, or die."
Examples in SentencesHere are three examples of the idiom "belly up" used in a sentence:
- The company went belly up after just two years.
- I'm afraid the old fish in our aquarium has gone belly up.
- Many restaurants go belly up within their first year of operation.
A Quick TestYou now know what "belly up" means, but are you good at English idioms? Let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?