What Does "Bread and Butter" Mean?"Bread and butter" is an English idiom. It means "a main source of income or livelihood; the basic sustenance or means of support."
Examples in SentencesHere are three examples of the idiom "bread and butter" used in a sentence:
- Writing has become his bread and butter since he quit his day job.
- The automotive industry is the town's bread and butter.
- Tourism serves as the bread and butter for many coastal towns.
A Quick TestYou now know what "bread and butter" means, but are you good at English idioms? Let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?