What Does "Buy Straw Hats in Winter" Mean?"Buy straw hats in winter" is an English idiom. It means "to make a purchase of an item when it's not in demand and, therefore, at a lower price."
Examples in SentencesHere are three examples of the idiom "buy straw hats in winter" used in a sentence:
- He's always looking for deals, even if it means buying straw hats in winter.
- By investing in that industry now, we're basically buying straw hats in winter, but it could pay off.
- The savvy investor knows to buy straw hats in winter and sell them in summer.
A Quick TestYou now know what "buy straw hats in winter" means, but are you good at English idioms? Let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?