What Does "Close Enough for Government Work" Mean?"Close enough for government work" is an English idiom. It means "good enough; adequate but not exact, often used humorously."
Examples in SentencesHere are three examples of the idiom "close enough for government work" used in a sentence:
- This repair isn't perfect, but it's close enough for government work.
- Your drawing isn't exactly like the picture, but close enough for government work.
- The measurements might be off by a millimeter, but hey, close enough for government work.
A Quick TestYou now know what "close enough for government work" means, but are you good at English idioms? Let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?