What Does "Elbow Grease" Mean?"Elbow grease" is an English idiom. It means "hard physical work, especially vigorous polishing or cleaning."
Examples in SentencesHere are three examples of the idiom "elbow grease" used in a sentence:
- This old table will look new with a little elbow grease.
- Cleaning the garage will require some elbow grease.
- She applied some elbow grease and got the rusty machine working again.
A Quick TestYou now know what "elbow grease" means, but are you good at English idioms? Let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?