What Does "Fly in the Ointment" Mean?"Fly in the ointment" is an English idiom. It means "a small problem or flaw in an overall pleasant situation."
Examples in SentencesHere are three examples of the idiom "fly in the ointment" used in a sentence:
- The only fly in the ointment during our vacation was the bad weather on the last day.
- Their product is excellent, but the poor customer service is a fly in the ointment.
- Everything was going well, but the unexpected expense was the fly in the ointment.
A Quick TestYou now know what "fly in the ointment" means, but are you good at English idioms? Let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?