What Does "Handbags at Dawn" Mean?"Handbags at dawn" is an English idiom. It is an informal and humorous expression describing a confrontational or aggressive argument or dispute, often between two people, usually women.
Examples in SentencesHere are three examples of the idiom "handbags at dawn" used in a sentence:
- Their heated argument in the office escalated to handbags at dawn, with shouting and finger-pointing.
- The rivalry between the two actresses reached a point where they engaged in handbags at dawn, exchanging insults in public.
- The feud between the two neighbours turned into handbags at dawn when they clashed over a property boundary dispute.
A Quick TestYou now know what "handbags at dawn" means, but are you good at English idioms? Let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?