What Does "Nodding Acquaintance" Mean?"Nodding acquaintance" is an English idiom. It means "a casual or superficial familiarity with someone, often limited to exchanging nods as a greeting."
Examples in SentencesHere are three examples of the idiom "nodding acquaintance" used in a sentence:
- While we worked in the same building, we were only nodding acquaintances who rarely engaged in conversation.
- They had a nodding acquaintance with their neighbours, saying hello when passing by but little more.
- In a bustling city, it's common to have nodding acquaintances with people you see on your daily commute.
A Quick TestYou now know what "nodding acquaintance" means, but are you good at English idioms? Let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?