What Does "Poacher Turned Gamekeeper" Mean?"Poacher turned gamekeeper" is an English idiom. It means "a person who previously engaged in illegal or unethical activities but has since switched to a more responsible or lawful role, often involving enforcement or protection."
Examples in SentencesHere are three examples of the idiom "poacher turned gamekeeper" used in a sentence:
- After years as a poacher, he decided to become a gamekeeper and work to protect endangered wildlife from illegal hunting.
- The organization hired a former hacker as a cybersecurity expertâ€”a classic example of a poacher turned gamekeeper.
- In some cases, individuals with insider knowledge are best suited to become poachers turned gamekeepers to combat illicit activities.
A Quick TestYou now know what "poacher turned gamekeeper" means, but are you good at English idioms? Let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?