What Does "Show Someone One's Etchings" Mean?"Show someone one's etchings" is an English idiom used humorously or ironically to suggest an invitation to one's home for a romantic or intimate encounter, often in the context of dating or courtship.
Examples in SentencesHere are three examples of the idiom "show someone one's etchings" used in a sentence:
- He awkwardly asked if he could show her his etchings after their first date, and they both laughed at the old-fashioned proposal.
- In classic movies, characters would often use the phrase 'Would you like to come up and see my etchings?' as a euphemism for a more intimate encounter.
- Today, using 'show someone one's etchings' might be seen as quaint and old-fashioned.
A Quick TestYou now know what "show someone one's etchings" means, but are you good at English idioms? Let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?