What Does "Snake Oil" Mean?"Snake oil" is an English idiom referring to a product or remedy that is promoted as a miraculous cure but is usually fraudulent or ineffective.
Examples in SentencesHere are three examples of the idiom "snake oil" used in a sentence:
- The internet is full of advertisements for snake oil products claiming to solve various health problems.
- He warned his friends not to fall for the snake oil sales pitch promising incredible results.
- Consumers should be cautious when encountering products that seem too good to be true and might be snake oil.
A Quick TestYou now know what "snake oil" means, but are you good at English idioms? Let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?