What Does "Wake up and Smell the Coffee" Mean?"Wake up and smell the coffee" is an English idiom. It means "to become aware of the realities of a situation, even if they are unpleasant."
Examples in SentencesHere are three examples of the idiom "wake up and smell the coffee" used in a sentence:
- You need to wake up and smell the coffee; this is not a sustainable way to live.
- He finally woke up and smelled the coffee when his health started to decline.
- Instead of ignoring the facts, she needs to wake up and smell the coffee.
A Quick TestYou now know what "wake up and smell the coffee" means, but are you good at English idioms? Let's see!
- This test has questions.
- A correct answer is worth 5 points.
- You can get up to 5 bonus points for a speedy answer.
- Some questions demand more than one answer. You must get every part right.
- Beware! Wrong answers score 0 points.
- 🏆 If you beat one of the top 3 scores, you will be invited to apply for the Hall of Fame.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?