AnimalsThe following page has learning games and example sentences using the following 37 words from the "animals" category:
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
a large flightless seabird of the Southern Hemisphere, with black upper parts and white underparts and wings developed into flippers for swimming underwater
- Penguins are birds that can't fly.
- Penguins live where it's very cold.
- Penguins have black and white feathers.
- The penguin waddled along the icy shore, heading for the ocean.
- Penguins are excellent swimmers and can dive to great depths.
- Visiting the penguin colony in Antarctica was a breathtaking experience.
an omnivorous domesticated mammal that is typically pink and stout, with a bristly coat and a curved tail, kept for its meat
- Pigs are farm animals that oink.
- Pigs like rolling in the mud.
- People raise pigs for meat.
- The farmer fed the pigs in the pen every morning.
- Pigs are known for their intelligence and social behavior.
- We roasted a whole pig for the barbecue party.
a large, heavily built plant-eating mammal with one or two horns on the nose and thick folded skin, native to Africa and Southeast Asia
- Rhinoceroses are big animals with a horn on their nose.
- Rhinoceroses have thick skin.
- Rhinoceroses are endangered.
- The rhinoceros lumbered through the savanna, its horn gleaming in the sunlight.
- Rhinoceros populations have been threatened by poaching for their horns.
- We went on a safari and were lucky to spot a family of rhinoceros.
a male domestic fowl; a cock
- Roosters are male chickens.
- Roosters crow in the morning.
- Roosters have colorful feathers.
- The rooster crowed loudly at dawn, signaling the start of the day.
- Roosters are often kept on farms to wake up the residents.
- The colorful plumage of the rooster was a sight to behold.
a small marine fish with a horselike head and curled tail, that swims upright and has a bony-plated body
- Seahorses look like tiny horses in the water.
- Seahorses swim slowly.
- Male seahorses have babies.
- Seahorses are fascinating creatures that defy typical fish behavior.
- The seahorse's camouflage helps it blend in with underwater vegetation.
- The aquarium had a special exhibit featuring seahorses of all colors.
a large, predatory fish with a cartilaginous skeleton and several rows of sharp teeth, often found in oceans and seas
- Sharks are big fish with sharp teeth.
- Sharks live in the ocean.
- Some sharks are scary.
- Swimmers were advised to stay out of the water due to the presence of a shark.
- The documentary explored the mysterious world of great white sharks.
- Sharks play a crucial role in maintaining the balance of marine ecosystems.
a domesticated ruminant animal with a thick woolly coat, kept for its meat or wool
- Sheep have wool on their bodies.
- Sheep are gentle animals.
- People get wool from sheep.
- The shepherd led the flock of sheep to the pasture.
- Sheep are often sheared in the spring to collect their wool.
- The countryside was dotted with peaceful herds of sheep.
a marine echinoderm with a star-shaped body and typically five arms, which radiate from a central disk
- Starfish live in the ocean.
- Starfish have arms that look like stars.
- Starfish can grow new arms.
- Children love to collect colorful starfish on the beach.
- Starfish can regenerate lost arms if they are damaged or severed.
- We observed a vibrant orange starfish clinging to a rock in the tide pool.
a large, carnivorous feline mammal with distinctive orange fur and black stripes, native to Asia
- Tigers are big cats with stripes.
- Tigers are fast and strong.
- Tigers are in danger.
- The tiger prowled through the jungle in search of prey.
- Tigers are endangered due to habitat loss and poaching.
- The majestic beauty of the tiger has inspired countless myths and legends.
a slow-moving reptile with a bony or cartilaginous shell into which it can retract its head and limbs
- Turtles have a hard shell for protection.
- Turtles are slow on land.
- Sea turtles travel long distances in the ocean.
- The turtle laid its eggs on the sandy beach and returned to the sea.
- Turtles are known for their longevity and can live for many decades.
- We saw a magnificent sea turtle while snorkeling in the coral reef.
a large, wild herbivorous mammal with distinctive black and white stripes, native to Africa
- Zebras have black and white stripes.
- Zebras live in groups called herds.
- Zebras are wild animals.
- The zebras grazed peacefully on the savanna, blending into the grasslands.
- Zebras use their stripes as a form of camouflage and to confuse predators.
- Our safari adventure was made complete when we spotted a herd of zebras.
a large, powerful mammal with thick fur and a stocky build, known for its strength and hibernation habits
- Bears are big and furry.
- Bears sleep in the winter.
- Bears come in different types.
- We encountered a bear while hiking in the wilderness and slowly backed away.
- Bears are often associated with the symbol of strength in many cultures.
- In winter, bears hibernate in their dens to conserve energy.
a small domesticated carnivorous mammal, typically kept as a pet, known for its agility and independent nature
- Cats are small pets.
- Cats like to play.
- Cats purr when they're happy.
- The cat purred contentedly as it curled up in its owner's lap.
- Cats are known for their ability to land on their feet when they fall.
- We adopted a rescue cat from the local animal shelter.
a large, fast-running wild cat with distinctive black spots and tear-like streaks on its face, known for its speed and agility
- Cheetahs are fast cats with spots.
- Cheetahs are the fastest animals.
- Cheetahs hunt for food.
- The cheetah sprinted across the African grasslands in pursuit of prey.
- Cheetahs are the fastest land animals, capable of reaching incredible speeds.
- We were lucky to witness a cheetah and her cubs resting in the shade.
a domesticated bird kept for its meat and eggs, known for its clucking sound
- Chickens give us eggs and meat.
- Chickens come in different colors.
- Roosters are male chickens.
- The farmer collected fresh eggs from the chicken coop every morning.
- Chickens are a common source of poultry for human consumption.
- The rooster and hens scratched for food in the yard.
a large domesticated mammal with horns and a sturdy build, typically raised for its meat and milk
- Cows give us milk and meat.
- Cows have four stomachs.
- Cows have black and white spots.
- The cow grazed peacefully in the pasture, chewing cud.
- Dairy farms rely on cows to produce milk for various products.
- We enjoyed a hearty meal of steak from a local farm's grass-fed cows.
a crustacean with a broad, flattened body and a hard exoskeleton, often found in marine and freshwater environments
- Crabs have hard shells and claws.
- Crabs live in the water.
- Crabs are sometimes eaten as seafood.
- We found a colorful crab scuttling across the sandy beach.
- Crabs are skilled burrowers and can disappear into the sand in an instant.
- The seafood restaurant offered a delicious crab feast.
a large, predatory reptile with a long snout and powerful jaws, often found in tropical rivers and swamps
- Crocodiles are big reptiles with long snouts.
- Crocodiles are good swimmers.
- Crocodiles are at the top of the food chain.
- We spotted a massive crocodile basking in the sun on the riverbank.
- Crocodiles are ancient creatures with a lineage dating back millions of years.
- Local legends spoke of a wise old crocodile in the sacred river.
a wild ruminant mammal with antlers, typically found in forests and grasslands
- Deer live in the forest.
- Deer have antlers on their heads.
- Deer can jump high.
- The deer gracefully leaped through the forest, its antlers glistening.
- Deer are often associated with the arrival of autumn and hunting season.
- We observed a family of deer foraging for food near the cabin.
a domesticated carnivorous mammal, often kept as a pet and known for its loyalty and companionship with humans
- Dogs are loyal pets.
- Dogs come in many breeds.
- Dogs help people in many ways.
- The dog wagged its tail enthusiastically when its owner returned home.
- Dogs come in a wide variety of breeds, each with its own unique characteristics.
- Our family adopted a rescue dog from the local animal shelter.
a highly intelligent marine mammal with a streamlined body, known for its playful behavior and echolocation abilities
- Dolphins are smart and playful.
- Dolphins live in the ocean.
- Dolphins communicate with clicks and whistles.
- We were fortunate to see a pod of dolphins leaping out of the water alongside our boat.
- Dolphins communicate with each other using a complex system of clicks and whistles.
- The conservation efforts have helped protect the habitats of dolphins.
a domesticated mammal similar to a horse but smaller and with long ears, often used as a pack animal
- Donkeys are strong animals.
- Donkeys are used for carrying things.
- Donkeys make a braying sound.
- The donkey carried heavy loads of supplies up the steep mountain trail.
- Donkeys are known for their resilience and ability to work in challenging conditions.
- We rode donkeys to reach the remote village in the highlands.
a waterfowl with a broad flat bill, webbed feet, and a distinctive quacking sound
- Ducks can swim and fly.
- Ducks like water.
- Ducks have waterproof feathers.
- The ducklings followed their mother as they swam in the pond.
- Ducks are often found in ponds, lakes, and rivers across the world.
- We enjoyed feeding the ducks by the lakeside on a sunny afternoon.
a large, herbivorous mammal with a trunk and tusks, known for its intelligence and strength
- Elephants are big animals with long trunks.
- Elephants are smart and social.
- African and Asian elephants are different.
- The elephant trumpeted loudly as it roamed the African savanna with its herd.
- Elephants are social animals with complex family structures.
- We marveled at the majestic elephants during our safari adventure.
a cold-blooded aquatic vertebrate that typically has gills, fins, and scales, and breathes through gills
- Fish live in the water.
- Fish come in many shapes and colors.
- People eat fish.
- We went fishing by the serene lake, hoping to catch some freshwater fish.
- Fish are a diverse group of animals with numerous species inhabiting oceans and rivers.
- The aquarium had a stunning display of colorful tropical fish.
a small to medium-sized carnivorous mammal with a bushy tail, known for its cunning and adaptability
- Foxes are clever animals.
- Foxes have bushy tails.
- Foxes come in different types.
- The fox darted through the forest, its bushy tail trailing behind it.
- Foxes are often depicted as clever characters in folklore and literature.
- We spotted a family of foxes playing near their den.
a tall, long-necked herbivorous mammal with distinctive irregular patches on its coat, native to Africa
- Giraffes are tall animals with spots.
- Giraffes eat leaves from tall trees.
- Giraffes are the tallest animals.
- The giraffe gracefully stretched its neck to reach the leaves high in the trees.
- Giraffes are the tallest land animals, known for their unique appearance.
- We observed a tower of giraffes roaming the savanna.
a domesticated ruminant mammal with curved horns, often raised for its milk, meat, or as a pet
- Goats like climbing steep places.
- Goats give us milk and meat.
- Goats have horns on their heads.
- The goat grazed on the lush green pasture, its bells tinkling softly.
- Goats are known for their agility and their ability to climb steep terrain.
- We visited a goat farm and sampled fresh goat cheese.
a waterfowl similar to a duck but larger, known for its honking call and migratory behavior
- Geese can swim and fly.
- Geese live near water.
- Geese can be noisy.
- The geese flew in V-shaped formations across the autumn sky during migration.
- Geese are often seen in wetlands and lakes, foraging for food.
- We watched a gaggle of geese swimming in the pond.
a large, powerful ape with a robust build and dark fur, native to Africa
- Gorillas are big and strong.
- Gorillas live in the jungle.
- Gorillas are like humans.
- The gorilla beat its chest as a display of dominance within the group.
- Gorillas are highly intelligent and share many genetic traits with humans.
- We observed a family of gorillas in their natural habitat.
a large, herbivorous mammal with a massive body and a wide mouth, often found in rivers and lakes in Africa
- Hippopotamuses are large and live in the water.
- Hippopotamuses have big mouths and teeth.
- Hippopotamuses are herbivores.
- The hippopotamus wallowed in the muddy river, occasionally opening its huge mouth.
- Hippopotamuses are known for their territorial and aggressive behavior.
- We embarked on a river safari to see hippos up close.
a large domesticated mammal with hooves, often used for riding, racing, and as a working animal
- Horses are strong and fast.
- Horses like running.
- People ride horses.
- The horse galloped across the open field, its mane flowing in the wind.
- Horses have played a significant role in human history and culture.
- We went horseback riding through the scenic countryside.
a translucent, gelatinous marine animal with long tentacles that can deliver a painful sting
- Jellyfish live in the ocean.
- Jellyfish have tentacles with stingers.
- Some jellyfish glow in the dark.
- We admired the graceful movement of jellyfish in the aquarium's illuminated tank.
- Jellyfish come in various shapes, sizes, and colors, making them fascinating to study.
- Swimmers were cautious in the sea to avoid encounters with jellyfish.
a large, carnivorous feline mammal known for its majestic appearance and roaring vocalization
- Lions are big cats that live in groups called prides.
- Lions are known for their roars.
- Lions are the king of the jungle.
- The lion surveyed its territory from the rocky outcrop, its mane flowing.
- Lions are often regarded as symbols of strength and courage.
- We witnessed a pride of lions on a thrilling safari adventure.
a small to medium-sized primate with a long tail, known for its playful behavior and high level of intelligence
- Monkeys are clever and live in trees.
- Monkeys like swinging from branches.
- Monkeys are curious animals.
- The monkey swung from tree to tree, effortlessly covering large distances.
- Monkeys exhibit a wide range of behaviors and social structures.
- We marveled at the antics of monkeys in the jungle.
a highly intelligent marine mollusk with eight tentacles, known for its ability to change color and camouflage
- Octopuses live in the ocean and have eight arms.
- Octopuses can change colors.
- Octopuses are good at hiding.
- The octopus demonstrated its remarkable camouflage skills by blending into the reef.
- Octopuses are masters of disguise and are known for their problem-solving abilities.
- We observed an octopus using its tentacles to capture prey.
a nocturnal bird of prey with a round face and forward-facing eyes, known for its hooting calls
- Owls are birds that come out at night.
- Owls can turn their heads all the way around.
- Owls are known for their hooting sounds.
- The owl perched silently on a branch, its large eyes scanning the darkness.
- Owls are often associated with wisdom and are featured in many myths and legends.
- We heard the haunting hoot of an owl in the moonlit forest.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?