FarmThe following page has learning games and example sentences using the following 21 words from the "farm" category:
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
a domesticated mammal raised for its wool, meat, or milk
- Sheep are fluffy animals that give wool.
- Farmers raise sheep for their wool and meat.
- Sheep often graze in fields.
- The shepherd tended to the flock of sheep grazing in the meadow.
- She admired the soft and warm wool from the sheep on the farm.
- He learned the art of shearing sheep during the annual farm festival.
a tall cylindrical structure used for storing and preserving grain or animal feed
- A silo is a tall structure used to store grain and feed.
- Silos help keep farm products safe and dry.
- Farmers fill silos during harvest time.
- The silo was filled with freshly harvested corn to feed the livestock.
- Farmers relied on silos to ensure a steady supply of animal feed year-round.
- He climbed to the top of the silo to inspect the grain levels.
a building or shelter where horses or other livestock are housed and cared for
- A stable is a building where horses and other animals are kept.
- Horses sleep and eat in stables.
- Stables are important for caring for animals.
- The horses were comfortably housed in the spacious stable.
- She cleaned and maintained the stable to ensure the animals' well-being.
- He often spent his free time at the stable, bonding with the horses.
a motorized vehicle used on farms for plowing fields, hauling, and other agricultural tasks
- A tractor is a farm vehicle used for plowing and pulling.
- Tractors help with planting and harvesting crops.
- Farmers drive tractors in the fields.
- The farmer drove the tractor to plow the fields and prepare for planting.
- Modern tractors were equipped with advanced technology for efficiency.
- He admired the vintage tractor collection displayed at the county fair.
a hole or excavation in the ground that provides access to a natural underground water source
- A well is a hole in the ground with water.
- Wells provide water for drinking and irrigation.
- People use buckets to draw water from wells.
- The well supplied clean water for drinking and irrigation on the farm.
- They gathered around the well to share stories and quench their thirst.
- He dug a new well to ensure a reliable water source for the farm.
a large farm building used for storing hay, grain, and equipment, as well as housing livestock
- A barn is a large building used to store hay and shelter animals.
- Barns are common on farms for animal care and storage.
- Barns often have a loft for hay storage.
- The barn was a hub of activity during harvest season, filled with freshly baled hay.
- She loved exploring the historic red barn on her family's farm.
- He repaired the roof of the barn to protect the stored crops.
a domesticated bird raised for its meat, eggs, and feathers
- A chicken is a bird raised for its meat and eggs.
- Chickens lay eggs that people eat.
- Chicken is a popular source of protein.
- The chicken coop was home to a variety of hens and roosters.
- Fresh eggs from the chickens were a staple in their breakfasts.
- He enjoyed the sound of clucking chickens in the morning.
a small enclosure or shelter for housing chickens or other poultry
- A coop is a small enclosure for keeping chickens.
- Coops provide shelter and protection for chickens.
- Eggs are collected from chicken coops.
- The coop provided a safe and warm environment for the baby chicks.
- They built a new coop to expand their poultry farming operations.
- He collected fresh eggs from the coop each morning.
a large domesticated mammal raised for its milk, meat, or other dairy products
- A cow is a large farm animal that gives milk.
- Cows are often milked on dairy farms.
- Beef comes from cows raised for meat.
- The dairy cow was milked twice a day to supply fresh milk for the farm.
- She learned how to milk a cow and appreciated the farm's homemade cheese.
- He raised cows and sold beef at the local farmers' market.
a domesticated animal related to the horse, often used for labor and transportation
- A donkey is a small, sturdy animal often used for carrying loads.
- Donkeys are known for their strong backs.
- Donkeys are helpful on farms and in hilly areas.
- The donkey carried heavy loads of hay and firewood from the fields.
- They owned a friendly donkey that the children loved to ride.
- He trained the donkey to assist with plowing tasks on the farm.
a waterfowl bird often raised for its meat, eggs, and feathers
- A duck is a waterfowl bird that can be found on farms.
- Ducks often swim in ponds and eat insects.
- Ducklings are baby ducks.
- Ducks waddled around the pond, quacking and searching for food.
- She prepared a delicious roast duck for the family's Sunday dinner.
- He built a floating platform for the ducks to rest on in the pond.
an individual who cultivates crops, raises livestock, and manages agricultural activities on a farm
- A farmer is a person who works on a farm.
- Farmers grow crops and raise animals.
- Farming is an important job for providing food.
- The farmer woke up early to tend to the animals and work in the fields.
- She admired the dedication and hard work of the local farmers.
- He was a fourth-generation farmer, carrying on the family tradition.
the primary residence on a farm where the farmer and their family live
- A farmhouse is a house on a farm where the farmer lives.
- Farmhouses are often surrounded by fields and barns.
- Farm families live in farmhouses.
- The farmhouse had a cozy porch where they enjoyed evening sunsets.
- Family gatherings took place in the farmhouse, filled with laughter and food.
- He renovated the farmhouse to preserve its historical charm.
an area of land used for growing crops, often divided into different plots or rows
- A field is an open area of land used for farming.
- Fields can grow crops like wheat and corn.
- Farmers plow and plant fields in spring.
- The golden wheat field stretched as far as the eye could see.
- They planted rows of corn and soybeans in the fertile fields.
- He admired the colorful wildflowers that bloomed in the field.
a domesticated mammal raised for its milk, meat, and sometimes wool or hair
- A goat is a farm animal known for its milk and meat.
- Goats are smaller than cows and have horns.
- Goat cheese is made from goat's milk.
- The goats grazed on the hillside, providing fresh goat cheese for the farm.
- She learned to milk goats and enjoyed making homemade goat yogurt.
- He built a sturdy fence to keep the mischievous goats from escaping.
dried grass or other plants, often used as animal feed or for bedding in barns
- Hay is dried grass or straw used as animal food and bedding.
- Farmers bale hay to store it for the winter.
- Horses and cows eat hay.
- They stored bales of hay in the barn for the winter months.
- Freshly cut hay fields were a picturesque sight during the summer.
- He loaded the hay wagon to transport the feed to the livestock.
a large, strong domesticated animal often used for riding, pulling loads, or working on farms
- A horse is a large, strong animal used for riding and work.
- Horses can pull plows and wagons on farms.
- Horseback riding is a popular activity.
- The horse and its rider galloped through the fields with grace.
- Horses were essential for plowing and transporting goods on the farm.
- She spent hours grooming and caring for her beloved horse.
an enclosed area or enclosure used to contain and manage livestock, such as sheep or pigs
- A pen is a small enclosure for keeping animals like pigs or sheep.
- Pens provide a safe area for animals.
- Pigs root around in pens.
- The sheep were gathered in the pen for shearing and health checks.
- They built a sturdy pig pen to house the young piglets.
- He repaired the wooden fence surrounding the cattle pen.
a domesticated mammal raised for its meat, often known as pork
- A pig is a farm animal raised for its meat, known as pork.
- Pigs are often pink and have curly tails.
- Bacon and ham come from pigs.
- The piglets playfully rooted in the mud of the pigpen.
- She prepared a delicious roast pig for the family barbecue.
- He sold pork products from his farm at the local market.
a long-handled tool with tines used for lifting and pitching hay or other materials
- A pitchfork is a tool with long prongs used for lifting and tossing hay or straw.
- Farmers use pitchforks to feed animals and clean stalls.
- Pitchforks are handy tools on farms.
- He used the pitchfork to load bales of hay onto the wagon.
- Pitchforks were essential tools for farm labor, especially during harvest.
- She demonstrated the proper technique for using a pitchfork to the newcomers.
a human-like figure often made of straw or cloth, placed in fields to scare away birds and protect crops
- A scarecrow is a stuffed figure placed in fields to scare away birds.
- Scarecrows keep birds from eating crops.
- Scarecrows have clothes and hats to look like people.
- The scarecrow stood tall in the cornfield, guarding the ripening ears of corn.
- Children enjoyed making scarecrows during the autumn festival.
- He repaired the scarecrow's tattered clothing to keep the crows at bay.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?