IllnessThe following page has learning games and example sentences using the following 16 words from the "illness" category:
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
a painful condition affecting the back, often caused by strain or injury to the muscles or spine
- A backache is when your back hurts and feels uncomfortable.
- Backaches can be caused by bad posture or lifting heavy things.
- You can use a heating pad to relieve a backache.
- He experienced a sharp backache after lifting heavy boxes all day.
- Backaches can be relieved with rest, gentle stretches, and pain medication.
- She visited a chiropractor to alleviate her chronic backache.
a fracture or break in one of the bones in the arm, typically requiring medical treatment such as casting or surgery
- A broken arm is when one of the bones in your arm is fractured or cracked.
- People with broken arms often wear casts to help the bone heal.
- It's important to be careful and avoid using a broken arm.
- He wore a cast on his broken arm to allow it to heal properly.
- Broken arms can result from accidents, falls, or sports injuries.
- They signed his cast as a gesture of support for his broken arm.
a fracture or break in one of the bones in the leg, often necessitating medical intervention and immobilization
- A broken leg is when one of the bones in your leg is fractured or cracked.
- People with broken legs often use crutches to get around.
- A cast or brace is used to support the healing leg.
- She used crutches to get around while her broken leg healed.
- Broken legs can be the result of accidents, falls, or trauma.
- He followed the doctor's recommendations for rehabilitating his broken leg.
a discoloration of the skin caused by damage to blood vessels beneath the surface, often due to blunt force or injury
- A bruise is a dark, painful mark on your skin caused by a bump or injury.
- Bruises change color as they heal, starting with purple and turning yellow.
- Applying ice can help reduce the pain of a fresh bruise.
- The bruise on her arm turned various shades of purple and green.
- Applying ice to a bruise can help reduce swelling and pain.
- They were careful not to bump the injured area and worsen the bruise.
a reflex action that clears the throat and airways of irritants, often symptomatic of respiratory infections or allergies
- A cough is a sudden, forceful expulsion of air from your lungs.
- Coughs can be caused by irritation or illness.
- Drinking warm tea with honey can soothe a cough.
- His persistent cough was a sign of a cold or respiratory infection.
- Cough drops and warm tea can provide relief from a cough.
- She covered her mouth and nose when coughing to prevent the spread of germs.
an open wound or incision in the skin, often requiring cleaning, disinfection, and bandaging
- A cut is an opening or wound in your skin caused by a sharp object.
- Cuts should be cleaned and covered with a bandage to prevent infection.
- Using antiseptic can help keep a cut from getting infected.
- He accidentally cut his finger while chopping vegetables.
- Cuts should be cleaned with antiseptic to prevent infection.
- They applied a bandage to cover the small cut on her knee.
a painful sensation in the ear, often caused by ear infections or inflammation of the ear canal
- An earache is when your ear hurts and feels painful.
- Earaches can be caused by infections or earwax buildup.
- Putting warm oil in the ear can help relieve an earache.
- She complained of an earache and discomfort while swallowing.
- Earaches may be accompanied by fever or hearing loss.
- He visited the doctor, who prescribed antibiotics for his earache.
an elevated body temperature, often a response to infections or illnesses, characterized by chills and sweating
- A fever is when your body temperature is higher than normal.
- Fevers are often a sign that your body is fighting off an infection.
- Rest and drinking fluids can help reduce a fever.
- She had a high fever and felt weak and fatigued.
- Fever reducers like acetaminophen can help lower body temperature.
- They monitored their child's fever and kept them hydrated.
a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses, characterized by symptoms such as fever, cough, and body aches
- The flu is a contagious illness caused by influenza viruses.
- Flu symptoms include fever, cough, and body aches.
- Getting a flu shot can help prevent the flu.
- He stayed home from work to recover from the flu.
- Getting a flu shot is recommended to prevent the illness.
- She rested and drank plenty of fluids to combat the flu.
a painful sensation in the head, often caused by tension, stress, dehydration, or other factors
- A headache is a pain or discomfort in your head or temples.
- Headaches can be caused by stress, tension, or illness.
- Taking a rest in a quiet room can relieve a headache.
- She massaged her temples to relieve the throbbing headache.
- Headaches can be triggered by various factors, including lack of sleep.
- He took a pain reliever to alleviate his persistent headache.
a highly contagious viral infection characterized by fever, cough, and a distinctive red rash
- Measles is a contagious viral infection that causes a rash and fever.
- Measles can be prevented with a measles vaccine.
- Quarantine is necessary to prevent the spread of measles.
- Measles outbreaks can be prevented through vaccination.
- Children with measles should be isolated to prevent the spread of the virus.
- She developed a red rash on her skin, a classic symptom of measles.
an excess discharge of mucus from the nose, often associated with colds, allergies, or sinus infections
- A runny nose is when your nose produces excess mucus.
- Runny noses are common during colds and allergies.
- Blowing your nose and drinking fluids can help with a runny nose.
- He reached for a tissue to blow his runny nose.
- Runny noses are common during allergy season due to pollen.
- They used a saline nasal spray to relieve their congested and runny nose.
a sudden, uncontrollable trembling or shivering of the body, often due to cold temperatures or fever
- Shivers are when your body shakes or trembles due to cold or fear.
- Shivering is your body's way of generating heat.
- Wearing warm clothing can prevent shivers in cold weather.
- She wrapped herself in a warm blanket to stop the shivers.
- Fevers can cause chills and shivers as the body temperature rises.
- He felt a sudden chill and experienced shivers down his spine.
a painful and inflamed throat, often caused by viral infections or irritation
- A sore throat is when your throat feels painful and scratchy.
- Sore throats can be caused by infections like strep throat.
- Gargling with warm salt water can soothe a sore throat.
- Her sore throat made it difficult to swallow.
- Gargling with warm saltwater can soothe a sore throat.
- They drank hot tea with honey to relieve the discomfort of a sore throat.
discomfort or pain in the abdominal region, often due to indigestion, food poisoning, or gastrointestinal issues
- A stomach ache is when your belly hurts and feels uncomfortable.
- Stomach aches can be caused by overeating or eating something bad.
- Drinking ginger tea can help ease a stomach ache.
- He felt a sharp stomach ache after eating a heavy meal.
- Stomach aches can result from consuming spoiled food or excessive eating.
- She rested and drank ginger tea to ease her upset stomach.
a sharp or throbbing pain in the teeth or gums, often caused by dental issues or cavities
- A toothache is when your tooth hurts and causes pain in your mouth.
- Toothaches can be caused by cavities or gum problems.
- Seeing a dentist is important to treat a toothache.
- She visited the dentist to address the persistent toothache.
- Toothaches can be relieved with over-the-counter pain relievers.
- He applied a cold compress to the outside of his cheek to numb the toothache.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?