InsectsThe following page has learning games and example sentences using the following 17 words from the "insects" category:
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
a long, legless invertebrate that typically lives in soil and plays a vital role in breaking down organic matter
- A worm is a long, wiggly creature with no legs.
- Worms live in the soil and help the earth.
- Worms are often used for fishing bait.
- Worms are often used as bait for fishing.
- She observed earthworms burrowing into the damp earth after a rain shower.
- Worm composting is an eco-friendly way to recycle kitchen waste.
a small, social insect known for its strong sense of teamwork and complex colony structure
- An ant is a tiny insect that lives in colonies.
- Ants work together to build nests and find food.
- Ants are very strong for their size.
- Ants work together to gather food and build intricate underground nests.
- They watched a line of ants carrying tiny crumbs back to their colony.
- Ant colonies can contain thousands or even millions of individual ants.
a flying insect known for its role in pollination and honey production by collecting nectar from flowers
- A bee is a flying insect that collects nectar from flowers.
- Bees make honey from the nectar they gather.
- Bees are important for pollinating plants.
- Bees are crucial to the pollination of many plants, including fruit trees.
- She admired a field of colorful wildflowers buzzing with bees.
- Beekeepers tend to hives to harvest honey and beeswax.
a diverse group of insects with a hard exoskeleton and front wings that often serve as protective covers
- A beetle is a small insect with a hard shell.
- Beetles come in many colors and shapes.
- Some beetles can fly, while others cannot.
- Beetles are found in various habitats and come in a wide range of sizes and colors.
- He discovered a colorful beetle with intricate patterns on its back.
- Beetles are known for their ability to adapt to different environments.
a delicate flying insect with colorful wings, often associated with metamorphosis from a caterpillar
- A butterfly is a colorful insect with delicate wings.
- Butterflies go through a transformation from caterpillars.
- Butterflies are beautiful and often found in gardens.
- Butterflies are a symbol of transformation and beauty in many cultures.
- She marveled at a garden filled with fluttering butterflies of all colors.
- Butterfly migrations can cover thousands of miles.
the larval stage of butterflies and moths, typically with a soft, elongated body and distinct segments
- A caterpillar is a worm-like larva of a butterfly or moth.
- Caterpillars eat leaves and grow before becoming butterflies.
- Caterpillars can have different patterns and colors.
- Caterpillars feed on leaves and build silk cocoons before undergoing metamorphosis.
- They found a caterpillar with vibrant stripes crawling on a plant.
- Caterpillars are known for their rapid growth and appetite.
a many-legged arthropod with a segmented body, often found in damp or dark environments
- A centipede is a long insect with many legs.
- Centipedes are fast movers and often live in dark places.
- Centipedes are carnivorous and eat other small creatures.
- Centipedes are carnivorous and hunt small insects and invertebrates.
- He spotted a fast-moving centipede darting across the forest floor.
- Centipedes have numerous pairs of legs, each with a single claw.
a common household insect known for its resilience and ability to adapt to various environments
- A cockroach is a flat, brown insect that can be a pest.
- Cockroaches are known for being resilient and hard to kill.
- Cockroaches are not liked in homes.
- Cockroaches are often considered pests in homes and commercial spaces.
- She used traps to control a cockroach infestation in her kitchen.
- Cockroaches can squeeze through small cracks and crevices.
a large, flying insect with transparent wings and a slender body, known for its agility in the air
- A dragonfly is a large insect with transparent wings.
- Dragonflies are agile fliers and eat other insects.
- Dragonflies are often seen near water sources.
- Dragonflies are skilled predators and feed on other flying insects.
- They watched dragonflies hovering gracefully near a pond.
- Dragonflies are often associated with wetland habitats.
a common flying insect with a pair of wings and often a source of annoyance or disease transmission
- A fly is a small insect with wings that buzz.
- Flies are attracted to food and can be annoying.
- Flies can carry germs and disease.
- Flies are attracted to food and can carry disease-causing bacteria.
- She shooed away a pesky fly buzzing around her picnic table.
- Flies play a role in pollinating some plants and decomposing organic matter.
a jumping insect with strong hind legs, often found in grassy areas and known for its distinctive chirping sounds
- A grasshopper is a jumping insect with strong hind legs.
- Grasshoppers make chirping sounds by rubbing their legs.
- Grasshoppers are known for their jumping ability.
- Grasshoppers use their powerful hind legs to leap great distances.
- He heard the cheerful chirping of grasshoppers in the meadow.
- Grasshoppers are herbivores and feed on a variety of plants.
a small, round beetle with bright colors and distinct spots, often considered a symbol of good luck
- A ladybug is a small, round insect with spots.
- Ladybugs are often red or orange with black spots.
- Ladybugs are considered lucky in many cultures.
- Ladybugs are beneficial insects that feed on aphids and other plant pests.
- She gently released a ladybug onto her garden plants to help control pests.
- Ladybugs are known by various names, including ladybirds and ladybird beetles.
a small flying insect known for its itchy bites and its role in transmitting diseases like malaria and Zika virus
- A mosquito is a tiny flying insect that bites people and animals.
- Mosquitoes can transmit diseases like malaria.
- Mosquitoes are attracted to blood and are a nuisance.
- Mosquitoes are attracted to standing water, where they lay their eggs.
- They applied mosquito repellent to avoid getting bitten during their camping trip.
- Mosquito nets provide protection from these blood-feeding insects.
a nocturnal flying insect with dull-colored wings, often attracted to light sources at night
- A moth is a night-flying insect with feathery antennas.
- Moths are often attracted to light sources at night.
- Some moths have patterns on their wings.
- Moths are known for their distinctive patterns and muted colors.
- She discovered a beautiful moth resting on a flower petal.
- Moths play an essential role in ecosystems as pollinators and prey for other animals.
a soft-bodied, slow-moving gastropod mollusk without a shell or with a small internal shell
- A slug is a slow-moving, slimy creature with no shell.
- Slugs are often found in gardens and eat plants.
- Slugs leave a trail of slime behind them.
- Slugs are often considered garden pests because they feed on plants.
- He set out beer traps to control slug populations in his garden.
- Slugs move by secreting a slime trail, which allows them to glide smoothly.
a slow-moving gastropod mollusk with a coiled shell, often found in gardens and damp environments
- A snail is a slow-moving creature with a spiral shell.
- Snails retreat into their shells for protection.
- Snails leave a slimy trail as they move.
- Snails use their coiled shells as protection from predators and harsh conditions.
- She observed a snail crawling along a wet leaf after a rain shower.
- Snails are capable of retracting into their shells for safety.
an arachnid with eight legs and the ability to spin silk webs for catching prey and building shelters
- A spider is an eight-legged arachnid that spins webs.
- Spiders catch insects in their webs for food.
- Spiders are found in many different shapes and sizes.
- Spiders are skilled hunters that play a crucial role in controlling insect populations.
- He carefully relocated a spider from the house to the garden.
- Spider silk is known for its strength and elasticity.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?