InstrumentsThe following page has learning games and example sentences using the following 22 words from the "instruments" category:
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
a musical instrument in the woodwind family, known for its brass body and single-reed mouthpiece, played by blowing air into it and using keys to produce different pitches
- A saxophone is a musical instrument.
- It makes music when you blow into it and press keys.
- People play saxophones in bands and concerts.
- She played a beautiful saxophone solo during the jazz concert.
- Saxophones are versatile instruments used in various music genres.
- He practiced his saxophone scales to improve his technique.
a brass musical instrument with a long, sliding tube and a large bell, played by changing the length of the tube to produce different notes
- A trombone is a musical instrument with a long slide.
- You move the slide to make different sounds.
- Trombones are in marching bands and orchestras.
- The trombonist performed a powerful solo with the brass band.
- Trombones are known for their distinctive sliding action.
- She practiced her trombone exercises to master smooth transitions.
a brass instrument with a flared bell and three valves, played by buzzing the lips into a mouthpiece and pressing the valves to change pitches
- A trumpet is a musical instrument with three buttons.
- You blow into it and press buttons to play music.
- Trumpets are loud and used in many types of music.
- He played a lively trumpet fanfare at the beginning of the ceremony.
- Trumpets are commonly used in orchestras, marching bands, and jazz ensembles.
- The sound of a trumpet can be both majestic and jubilant.
a large, low-pitched brass instrument with a wide bell, played by blowing air through a cup-shaped mouthpiece and pressing valves to change notes
- A tuba is a big musical instrument with a round shape.
- You blow into it and press buttons to make low sounds.
- Tubas are heavy and part of brass bands.
- The tuba player provided a deep and resonant foundation for the orchestra.
- Tubas are often used to add depth and richness to musical compositions.
- She practiced her tuba scales to improve her range and control.
a stringed musical instrument with four strings, typically played with a bow, producing sound through the vibration of the strings
- A violin is a musical instrument with four strings.
- You use a bow to make music by moving it on the strings.
- Violins are used in classical music and orchestras.
- She performed a heartfelt violin solo at the classical music recital.
- Violins are essential in orchestras and chamber music ensembles.
- He tuned his violin carefully before the rehearsal.
a percussion instrument consisting of wooden bars or plates of different lengths, played with mallets to produce musical tones
- A xylophone is a musical instrument with wooden bars.
- You hit the bars with mallets to make sounds.
- Xylophones are fun to play and make music.
- The xylophonist played a catchy melody on the colorful xylophone.
- Xylophones are commonly used in schools and music education programs.
- She practiced her xylophone scales to improve her accuracy.
a portable musical instrument with a bellows and a keyboard or buttons, producing sound when air is squeezed through the bellows and into reeds
- An accordion is a musical instrument with keys and a bellows.
- You squeeze and press keys to play music.
- Accordions are used in folk music and dance.
- He entertained the crowd with lively accordion tunes at the street fair.
- Accordions are associated with folk, polka, and traditional music.
- She learned to play the accordion from her grandparents.
a stringed instrument with a round body, a long neck, and several strings, often used in folk, country, and bluegrass music
- A banjo is a musical instrument with a round body.
- You pluck or strum the strings to make music.
- Banjos are common in country and bluegrass music.
- They played a toe-tapping banjo melody by the campfire.
- Banjos have a distinctive twangy sound that adds character to songs.
- He practiced fingerpicking techniques on the banjo.
a percussion instrument typically made of metal, producing sound when struck by a clapper or mallet
- A bell is a musical instrument that rings when you hit it.
- Bells come in different sizes and shapes.
- Bells are used in music and as alarms.
- The church bells rang out to announce the wedding ceremony.
- Bells are used in orchestras, carillons, and as signals in various contexts.
- She struck the bell with a mallet to produce a resonant tone.
a large stringed instrument played with a bow, known for its rich and deep tones, used in classical and orchestral music
- A cello is a big musical instrument played with a bow.
- You press the strings to make deep, rich sounds.
- Cellos are used in classical music and orchestras.
- The cellist performed a soulful cello solo in the symphony orchestra.
- Cellos are often featured in chamber music and solo performances.
- He carefully rosin-ed his bow before playing the cello.
a woodwind instrument with a single-reed mouthpiece and a cylindrical body, played by blowing air through the mouthpiece and using keys to change pitches
- A clarinet is a musical instrument with a mouthpiece and keys.
- You blow into it and press keys to make music.
- Clarinets are used in classical and jazz music.
- She played a beautiful clarinet melody in the school band.
- Clarinetists are valued in classical, jazz, and marching bands.
- He practiced his clarinet scales to improve his agility.
a large stringed instrument played with a bow or plucked with the fingers, known for its deep and resonant tones, used in orchestras and jazz ensembles
- A double bass is a big string instrument, also called an upright bass.
- You play deep, low notes with a bow or fingers.
- Double basses are used in orchestras and jazz bands.
- The double bassist provided a strong rhythm in the jazz quartet.
- Double basses are the largest and lowest-pitched instruments in the orchestra.
- She tuned her double bass strings before the performance.
a percussion instrument consisting of a hollow shell and a membrane (drumhead) stretched over it, played by striking the drumhead with hands, sticks, or mallets
- A drum is a musical instrument you hit to make sounds.
- Drums come in many shapes and sizes.
- Drums are used in bands and for dancing.
- The drummer set the rhythm with a series of well-timed drum beats.
- Drums are essential in various music genres, including rock, pop, and world music.
- He practiced drumming patterns to enhance his drumming skills.
a stringed musical instrument with an amplified sound, typically played with a pick or fingers, used in rock, blues, and other contemporary music genres
- An electric guitar is a musical instrument with strings and pickups.
- You strum or pick the strings and use an amplifier to make it loud.
- Electric guitars are used in rock and pop music.
- The electric guitarist shredded an impressive solo during the concert.
- Electric guitars are known for their versatility and wide range of sounds.
- She adjusted the settings on her amplifier to achieve the desired tone.
a brass musical instrument with a coiled tube and a flared bell, played by buzzing the lips into a mouthpiece and using valves to change pitches
- A French horn is a musical instrument with a curved shape.
- You blow into it and use valves to change the sound.
- French horns are in orchestras and brass ensembles.
- The french horn player added a warm and melodic touch to the orchestra's performance.
- French horns are known for their unique and mellow sound.
- He practiced his french horn scales to master challenging passages.
a stringed musical instrument with a body, a neck, and six or more strings, played by plucking or strumming the strings with fingers or a pick
- A guitar is a musical instrument with strings that you strum or pluck.
- Guitars come in different styles and are used in many types of music.
- Guitars are fun to play and sing along with.
- They gathered around the campfire, playing acoustic guitars and singing songs.
- Guitars are one of the most popular and versatile instruments worldwide.
- She learned to play the guitar by taking lessons from a skilled guitarist.
a small wind instrument with multiple reeds and a series of holes, played by blowing and drawing air through the holes to create musical tones
- A harmonica is a small musical instrument you blow into.
- It makes music when you blow and draw air through it.
- Harmonicas are easy to carry and used in blues and folk music.
- He played a soulful harmonica tune on the street corner.
- Harmonicas are portable and often used in blues, folk, and rock music.
- She carried a harmonica in her pocket to play whenever inspiration struck.
a large stringed instrument with multiple strings stretched vertically and played by plucking the strings with fingers or thumbs
- A harp is a musical instrument with strings that you pluck with your fingers.
- You can make beautiful music on a harp.
- Harps are used in classical and Celtic music.
- The harpist performed a captivating solo at the elegant ballroom event.
- Harps are known for their ethereal and angelic sounds.
- She tuned her harp strings before the orchestral performance.
a musical instrument with a set of keys, typically producing sounds through electronic or acoustic means, used in various genres and settings
- A keyboard is a musical instrument with keys you press to make sounds.
- Keyboards can make many different sounds and are used in bands.
- Keyboards are fun to play and create music with.
- She played a beautiful melody on the electronic keyboard during the concert.
- Keyboards include pianos, synthesizers, and digital keyboards.
- He practiced his keyboard skills to perform complex compositions.
percussion instruments consisting of a pair of handheld shakers, often filled with seeds or beads, creating rhythmic sounds when shaken
- Maracas are musical instruments with handles.
- You shake maracas to make a shaking sound.
- Maracas are used in Latin and Caribbean music.
- The percussionist added a lively rhythm to the band's music with maracas.
- Maracas are commonly used in Latin American and Caribbean music.
- She shook the maracas in time with the salsa beat.
a keyboard instrument with strings and hammers, played by pressing keys to strike the strings and produce musical notes
- A piano is a musical instrument with keys and strings inside.
- You press the keys to make music on a piano.
- Pianos are used in classical and popular music.
- He played a classical piano piece with great precision and emotion.
- Pianos are widely used in classical, jazz, and contemporary music.
- She practiced her piano scales to enhance her finger dexterity.
a woodwind instrument with a whistle-like mouthpiece and finger holes, played by blowing air into it and covering and uncovering the holes to change pitches
- A recorder is a small musical instrument with holes.
- You blow into it and cover holes to make music.
- Recorders are used for learning music in school.
- She played a sweet melody on the recorder during the school recital.
- Recorders are often used in beginner music education programs.
- He learned to read sheet music while practicing the recorder.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?