Kitchen VerbsThe following page has learning games and example sentences using the following 18 words from the "kitchen verbs" category:
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
to beat or stir vigorously using a whisk or fork to incorporate air into a mixture or achieve a smooth consistency
- You whisk eggs to make them fluffy for scrambled eggs.
- Bakers whisk ingredients together for cake batter.
- Whisking is important for making smooth sauces.
- She whisked the eggs and sugar together to make a fluffy batter.
- Whisking is an essential step in making creamy sauces and dressings.
- He whisked the cream until it formed stiff peaks for the dessert.
to cook food in an oven using dry heat, often resulting in a golden-brown crust or a tender interior
- Baking means cooking food in an oven, like cookies and bread.
- We bake a birthday cake for special celebrations.
- Baking gives food a delicious, crispy texture.
- She baked a delicious chocolate cake for her friend's birthday.
- Baking bread requires precise measurements and specific temperatures.
- He baked a batch of cookies that filled the kitchen with a delightful aroma.
to cook food, especially meat, over an open flame or on a grill, often basting it with sauce for added flavor
- We barbecue meat and vegetables on a grill for outdoor cooking.
- Barbecuing is a fun way to enjoy tasty grilled food.
- Barbecue sauce adds flavor to grilled dishes.
- They decided to barbecue hamburgers and hot dogs for the picnic.
- Barbecuing is a popular method for cooking outdoor meals in the summer.
- He barbecued chicken wings and brushed them with tangy barbecue sauce.
to mix or combine different ingredients or substances thoroughly to create a uniform or harmonious mixture
- You blend fruits and yogurt to make a smoothie.
- Blending ingredients creates a creamy texture for soups.
- Blending is great for mixing flavors together.
- She blended fresh fruits and yogurt to make a smoothie.
- Blending flavors is a key aspect of creating tasty soups and sauces.
- He blended herbs and spices to create a flavorful seasoning mix.
to heat a liquid, usually water, to its boiling point, causing it to bubble and produce steam
- Boiling is when you heat water until it bubbles and steams.
- We boil pasta until it's soft and ready to eat.
- Boiling vegetables makes them tender and tasty.
- They boiled water to cook pasta for dinner.
- Boiling is a common method for cooking vegetables until they become tender.
- He boiled eggs for precisely ten minutes to achieve the desired consistency.
to consume food by chewing and swallowing it, nourishing the body and satisfying hunger
- Eating is when you put food in your mouth and swallow it.
- We eat breakfast in the morning to start the day.
- Eating together is a time for family and friends.
- She ate a hearty breakfast of scrambled eggs and toast.
- Eating mindfully involves savoring the flavors and textures of each bite.
- He ate a slice of pizza for lunch, enjoying the cheesy goodness.
to cook food by immersing it in hot oil or fat, resulting in a crispy and browned exterior
- Frying is cooking food in hot oil until it's crispy and brown.
- We fry potatoes to make delicious French fries.
- Frying chicken gives it a crunchy outer layer.
- They fried potato slices to make crispy homemade potato chips.
- Frying is a common cooking technique for preparing fried chicken.
- He fried fish fillets until they turned golden and crispy.
to shred or reduce food into small pieces by rubbing it against a grater or similar tool
- Grating is when you rub food against a rough surface to make small pieces.
- We grate cheese to sprinkle on top of pizza.
- Grated carrots add flavor and texture to salads.
- She grated cheese to sprinkle over the pasta dish.
- Grating vegetables can add texture and flavor to salads and dishes.
- He grated carrots to use as a topping for the coleslaw.
to cook food over an open flame or on a grill, often producing distinctive grill marks and a smoky flavor
- Grilling is cooking food on an open flame or grill.
- We grill burgers and hot dogs at summer cookouts.
- Grilling gives food a smoky and charred flavor.
- They grilled marinated chicken breasts for a barbecue party.
- Grilling vegetables enhances their natural sweetness and adds a charred taste.
- He grilled steaks to perfection, achieving grill marks on each side.
to combine two or more substances or ingredients by stirring or blending them together
- Mixing is when you combine ingredients together.
- We mix flour, sugar, and eggs to make cookie dough.
- Mixing evenly distributes flavors in dishes.
- She mixed flour and water to make a smooth batter for pancakes.
- Mixing ingredients thoroughly ensures even distribution of flavors.
- He mixed spices and herbs to create a flavorful seasoning blend.
to transfer a liquid or substance from one container to another in a steady and controlled manner
- Pouring is when you gently let a liquid flow from a container.
- We pour milk into a glass for a refreshing drink.
- Pouring sauce over pasta makes it delicious.
- She poured milk into her morning coffee.
- Pouring sauce over a dish adds the finishing touch to the presentation.
- He poured the batter into the cake pan, ready for baking.
to shape or flatten dough or a substance into a cylindrical or flat form by using a rolling pin or hands
- Rolling is when you flatten dough with a rolling pin.
- We roll out dough to make pizza or pie crust.
- Rolling ensures even thickness for baked goods.
- They rolled out the dough to make thin pizza crusts.
- Rolling pastry dough evenly is essential for uniform pie crusts.
- She rolled the sushi ingredients in seaweed sheets to make sushi rolls.
to strain or filter a liquid or mixture through a sieve or fine mesh to remove solid particles or impurities
- Sieving is when you use a tool to separate fine particles from a liquid.
- We sieve flour to remove lumps for baking.
- Sieving helps create smooth sauces and batters.
- She sieved powdered sugar over the freshly baked cookies.
- Sieving is often used in baking to ensure a smooth and lump-free texture.
- He sieved tomato sauce to remove any seeds or pulp.
to cut food, especially bread, meat, or vegetables, into thin, flat pieces or segments
- Slicing is cutting food into thin pieces with a knife.
- We slice bread for sandwiches.
- Slicing vegetables makes them easy to cook and eat.
- She sliced the ripe tomatoes to make a refreshing salad.
- Slicing bread evenly results in uniform sandwich layers.
- He sliced the roast beef thinly for sandwiches.
to apply a thin layer of a substance, such as butter, jam, or sauce, evenly over a surface, typically bread or a baked good
- Spreading is when you evenly coat one surface with something, like butter.
- We spread peanut butter on toast for a tasty snack.
- Spreading jam on bread adds sweetness.
- They spread peanut butter on slices of bread for a quick snack.
- Spreading a generous layer of frosting on a cake makes it more delicious.
- She spread mayonnaise on the sandwich to add moisture and flavor.
to mix ingredients or substances in a circular motion using a spoon or utensil, often to combine or prevent sticking
- Stirring is when you mix ingredients by moving a utensil in a circular motion.
- We stir soup to blend flavors and prevent sticking.
- Stirring is important for even cooking.
- He stirred the soup to ensure the flavors were well incorporated.
- Stirring is essential when cooking rice to prevent it from sticking to the pot.
- She stirred the chocolate chips into the cookie dough.
to sample or try a small amount of food or a dish to assess its flavor and quality
- Tasting is when you try a small amount of food to check its flavor.
- We taste the sauce to see if it needs more seasoning.
- Tasting helps adjust the taste of dishes.
- She tasted the soup to adjust the seasoning and add more salt.
- Tasting is a key step in recipe development to achieve the desired flavor profile.
- He tasted the marinade to ensure it had the right balance of flavors.
to clean food, utensils, or dishes by using water and often soap to remove dirt, contaminants, or residue
- Washing is when you clean food or dishes with water and soap.
- We wash fruits and vegetables before eating them.
- Washing hands before cooking is essential for hygiene.
- They washed the fresh vegetables thoroughly before cooking.
- Washing hands before handling food is important for hygiene.
- She washed the dishes and put them in the drying rack.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?