OppositesThe following page has learning games and example sentences using the following 41 words from the "opposites" category:
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
having little height or not being tall
- She is short.
- He has short hair.
- The dog is short.
- She is quite short compared to her classmates.
- He prefers to wear short sleeves in the summer.
- They will take a shortcut to reach the destination faster.
having a slender and thin physique
- He is skinny.
- She likes skinny jeans.
- They have a skinny cat.
- She has always been naturally skinny.
- He likes to wear skinny jeans.
- They will have a skinny latte for breakfast.
moving or proceeding at a low speed
- The turtle is slow.
- I am a slow eater.
- She walks slow.
- The turtle is known for its slow pace.
- She drives slowly on icy roads to stay safe.
- They will walk slowly to enjoy the scenery.
being of limited size or not large in dimensions
- The kitten is small.
- He has a small toy.
- It's a small room.
- The puppy is still very small and adorable.
- He keeps his belongings in a small backpack.
- They will stay in a small cottage by the lake.
having a sharp and acidic taste or unpleasant odor
- The lemon is sour.
- She makes a sour face.
- They don't like sour candy.
- The lemonade was too sour for her liking.
- She wrinkled her nose at the sour smell in the room.
- They will add sugar to balance the sourness of the dish.
completely clean and without any blemishes or stains
- The kitchen is spotless.
- He keeps his car spotless.
- She has a spotless record.
- She keeps her house spotless at all times.
- He admired the spotless mirror in the hotel room.
- They will strive to maintain a spotless reputation.
possessing physical power or being mentally resilient
- He is strong.
- She lifts weights to get strong.
- They have a strong grip.
- He is known for his strong physique and athleticism.
- She showed strong determination to overcome obstacles.
- They will build a strong bond through teamwork.
having a pleasant and sugary taste or being endearing
- The cake is sweet.
- She likes sweet tea.
- He has a sweet tooth.
- The dessert was incredibly sweet and satisfying.
- She has a sweet smile that brightens everyone's day.
- They will enjoy the sweet melodies of the music.
allowing light to pass through and see-through
- The glass is transparent.
- She wears transparent glasses.
- They want a transparent discussion.
- The glass is transparent, so you can see what's inside.
- She used transparent plastic wrap to cover the food.
- They will use a transparent umbrella on a rainy day.
unattractive in appearance or unpleasant to look at
- The painting is ugly.
- He thinks he is ugly.
- She calls him ugly.
- Beauty is subjective, and what is ugly to one may not be to another.
- She found the old building to be rather ugly.
- They believe that kindness can make a person beautiful, even if they appear ugly.
lacking physical or mental strength and not strong
- He is weak.
- She feels weak today.
- They have a weak signal.
- He felt weak after the long hike in the mountains.
- She has a weak immune system and often gets sick.
- They will strengthen their muscles through regular exercise.
in an early stage of life or existence, not old
- She is young.
- He is a young artist.
- They have a young puppy.
- The young couple just got married last month.
- She works with young children at the daycare center.
- They will visit a young artist's gallery opening.
having lived or existed for a long time, not young
- The house is old.
- She has an old car.
- He is getting old.
- The old tree in the park is over a hundred years old.
- He loves reading old books with yellowed pages.
- They will explore an old castle on their vacation.
not good or of poor quality, unfavorable
- It's a bad day.
- She had a bad dream.
- He is in a bad mood.
- The movie received bad reviews from critics.
- She had a bad day at work due to a challenging project.
- They will turn a bad situation into an opportunity.
having qualities that delight the senses and please the eye
- The sunset is beautiful.
- She is a beautiful singer.
- They live in a beautiful house.
- The sunset over the ocean was absolutely beautiful.
- She wore a beautiful dress to the special occasion.
- They will visit a beautiful garden with colorful flowers.
having a large size or being of considerable magnitude
- The elephant is big.
- He has a big house.
- She wears a big hat.
- The big elephant trumpeted loudly in the safari park.
- He moved into a big house with a spacious yard.
- They will need a big suitcase for their trip.
having a dull or rounded edge, not sharp
- The knife is blunt.
- She is blunt with her words.
- He uses a blunt pencil.
- The blunt knife couldn't cut through the tough meat.
- She prefers to use a blunt pencil for shading.
- They will need a sharpener to avoid writing with a blunt pencil.
emitting or reflecting a strong light, vivid in color
- The sun is bright.
- She wears bright clothes.
- They have a bright smile.
- The bright stars lit up the night sky.
- She wore a bright red dress to the party.
- They will enjoy a bright and sunny day at the beach.
free from dirt, stains, or impurities, hygienic
- The room is clean.
- He likes to keep things clean.
- She has clean hands.
- The clean kitchen countertops sparkled in the sunlight.
- He takes pride in keeping his car clean and shiny.
- They will hire a professional cleaner for the spring cleaning.
having little or no light, of a deep color
- It's dark outside.
- She has dark hair.
- They like dark chocolate.
- The room was so dark that they needed a flashlight.
- She chose a dark shade of paint for the bedroom.
- They will have a picnic under the dark night sky.
covered in or marked by dirt, unclean
- The shirt is dirty.
- He plays in the dirty mud.
- She has dirty shoes.
- The muddy boots left dirty footprints on the floor.
- He noticed a dirty stain on his shirt after lunch.
- They will wash their hands thoroughly to remove the dirt.
far away in space or time, remote or separated
- The mountain is distant.
- He feels distant from his friends.
- She has a distant look.
- The mountain range appeared distant from their location.
- She felt a distant connection to her ancestral homeland.
- They will send a letter to a distant relative.
containing nothing or having no occupants
- The glass is empty.
- She has an empty backpack.
- They feel empty inside.
- The empty room echoed with each step they took.
- He realized the gas tank was empty when the car stalled.
- They will find an empty seat in the crowded theater.
moving or capable of moving quickly, rapid
- The car is fast.
- She runs fast.
- He eats fast.
- The cheetah is the fastest land animal in the world.
- She drives fast on the highway to reach her destination.
- They will have a fast internet connection for streaming.
having an excess of flesh or being overweight
- He is fat.
- She feels fat after eating.
- They have a fat cat.
- He gained weight and became fat after the holidays.
- She avoids eating too much fat in her diet.
- They will work out regularly to lose fat and stay healthy.
covered in or characterized by dirt and grime
- The floor is filthy.
- She works in a filthy environment.
- They have a filthy habit.
- The neglected room was filthy and needed a thorough cleaning.
- She wore gloves to clean the filthy bathroom.
- They will take a shower to wash off the filthy mud.
coming before all others in time or order
- It's the first day.
- She is the first in line.
- He got the first prize.
- She was the first person to arrive at the party.
- He won first place in the race and received a medal.
- They will have the first slice of cake at the celebration.
containing all that can be held or filled to capacity
- The glass is full.
- She ate a full meal.
- They have a full schedule.
- The glass was full of refreshing cold water.
- She felt full after a hearty meal at the restaurant.
- They will have a full day of fun and adventure.
having desirable qualities or characteristics
- He is good.
- She did a good job.
- They have a good idea.
- He is known for his good deeds and generosity.
- She gave a good speech that inspired the audience.
- They will make good memories during their vacation.
having a high weight or mass, difficult to lift or move
- The box is heavy.
- She lifts heavy weights.
- He has a heavy workload.
- The suitcase was heavy, so he asked for help.
- She wore a heavy coat to stay warm in the snow.
- They will need a heavy-duty vehicle for transporting goods.
coming after all others in time or order
- It's the last page.
- She is the last to arrive.
- He got the last piece.
- She was the last one to leave the office for the day.
- He received the last piece of cake at the party.
- They will enjoy the last rays of sunlight at sunset.
emitting or reflecting illumination, not heavy
- The room is light.
- She carries a light bag.
- They like light colors.
- The light bulb brightened the room when turned on.
- She carried a light backpack for the hiking trip.
- They will use a flashlight to find their way in the dark.
having a great length or extending for a considerable distance
- The road is long.
- She has long hair.
- He waits for a long time.
- The long river winds through the forest.
- She has long hair that reaches her waist.
- They will take a long road trip across the country.
close to or not far from a particular place or point
- The store is near.
- She lives near the park.
- They have a near miss.
- The grocery store is near their apartment.
- She found a park near the city center.
- They will stay in a hotel near the beach.
recently made, discovered, or created
- The phone is new.
- She got a new dress.
- He has a new idea.
- They bought a new car to replace the old one.
- She is excited to wear her new dress to the event.
- They will explore the new museum in town.
making a lot of noise, loud and disruptive
- The street is noisy.
- She lives in a noisy neighborhood.
- They make a noisy crowd.
- The construction site next door is very noisy.
- She put on noise-canceling headphones to block out the noisy traffic.
- They will find a quiet place away from the noisy crowd.
not allowing light to pass through, not transparent
- The glass is opaque.
- She uses opaque curtains.
- They prefer opaque solutions.
- The curtains are made of opaque fabric to provide privacy.
- She couldn't see through the opaque glass window.
- They will use an opaque screen to hide the surprise.
having little or insufficient wealth or resources
- He is poor.
- She comes from a poor family.
- They live in a poor village.
- He grew up in a poor neighborhood but worked hard to succeed.
- She helps the poor by donating to charity organizations.
- They will provide assistance to the poor and needy.
making little or no noise, peaceful and calm
- The library is quiet.
- She enjoys quiet evenings.
- They like a quiet atmosphere.
- The library is a quiet place for reading and studying.
- She enjoys the quiet solitude of the countryside.
- They will have a quiet evening at home with a book.
having a great deal of money, possessions, or resources
- They are rich.
- He has a rich taste.
- She owns a rich collection.
- They live in a luxurious mansion and are very rich.
- She became rich after starting her successful business.
- They will donate to charity because they believe in sharing their wealth.
having a fine or keen edge, capable of cutting
- The knife is sharp.
- She has sharp eyes.
- He is sharp-witted.
- The chef used a sharp knife to slice the vegetables.
- She noticed a sharp pain in her foot after stepping on a rock.
- They will use a sharp pencil for drawing detailed illustrations.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?