Parts of the HouseThe following page has learning games and example sentences using the following 18 words from the "parts of the house" category:
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
an opening in a wall, often with glass panes, that allows light and air to enter a building
- A window is a glass opening in a wall to let in light.
- You can see outside through a window.
- Windows can be opened or closed.
- She gazed out of the window at the scenic view of the mountains.
- Windows are essential for natural illumination in a room.
- They decorated the window sill with potted plants and ornaments.
an open area of land surrounding a house, often used for outdoor activities, gardening, or relaxation
- A yard is an open area around a house with grass or plants.
- Yards are for playing and relaxing.
- Some people have gardens in their yards.
- Children played in the yard, running and laughing.
- She spent hours gardening in her spacious yard.
- Yards can be transformed into beautiful outdoor living spaces.
an elevated platform with a railing, typically attached to a building, providing an outdoor space for relaxation or dining
- A balcony is a small platform outside a building.
- You can stand or sit on a balcony.
- Balconies often have a nice view.
- They enjoyed breakfast on the balcony with a view of the city skyline.
- Balconies are a sought-after feature in apartments and homes.
- She decorated the balcony with potted flowers and cozy furniture.
a vertical structure on the roof of a building, designed to channel smoke and gases from a fireplace or stove outside
- A chimney is a tall, narrow structure on a roof.
- Chimneys release smoke and gases from a fireplace.
- Santa Claus comes down the chimney.
- Smoke billowed from the chimney as they lit the fireplace.
- Chimneys are often made of brick or metal for heat resistance.
- The chimney sweep cleaned and inspected the chimney for safety.
a hinged or sliding barrier that allows entry or exit from a building or room
- A door is an entrance or exit with a knob or handle.
- You can open and close doors.
- Doors keep rooms private.
- He knocked on the door and waited for someone to answer.
- Front doors are often chosen for their aesthetic and security features.
- Automatic doors are common in commercial buildings for convenience.
a device near the entrance of a building that produces a sound or chime when pressed, alerting occupants to visitors
- A doorbell is a button outside a door that makes a sound.
- Press the doorbell to let someone know you're there.
- Doorbell rings can be different tunes.
- She pressed the doorbell and heard a pleasant chime inside the house.
- Doorbell cameras provide security by allowing homeowners to see and communicate with visitors remotely.
- The doorbell rang repeatedly, announcing the arrival of guests.
the raised or paved surface at the entrance of a building, often used as a step to enter or exit
- A doorstep is the small step outside a door.
- You step on it when you enter or exit a house.
- Sometimes, people leave packages on doorsteps.
- She sat on the doorstep, enjoying the warm afternoon sun.
- The delivery person left the package on the doorstep.
- He swept the leaves and debris from the front doorstep.
a private road or path that leads from the street to a garage or parking area near a house
- A driveway is a path or road that leads to a garage or house.
- Cars are parked in driveways.
- Driveways can be made of concrete or gravel.
- Cars lined up in the long driveway for the family reunion.
- Driveways are often paved or made of gravel for vehicle access.
- They shoveled the snow from the driveway after a winter storm.
a barrier made of wood, metal, or other materials that encloses or marks the boundary of a property
- A fence is a barrier made of wood or metal.
- Fences mark the boundary of a property.
- Some fences have gates for entry.
- The wooden fence provided privacy for their backyard.
- White picket fences are a classic symbol of suburban life.
- Fences can be decorative or functional, serving various purposes.
a building or enclosed space used for housing and storing vehicles, tools, and equipment
- A garage is a building to store cars and other things.
- Garages protect cars from the weather.
- Some people use garages as workshops.
- He parked his car in the garage to protect it from the weather.
- Garages often double as workshops for DIY projects.
- She organized the clutter in the garage for better storage.
a movable barrier, often with a swinging or sliding mechanism, that controls access to a fenced or enclosed area
- A gate is a barrier you can open and close to enter or exit.
- Gates are often found in fences.
- Some gates are decorative.
- The garden gate creaked open as they entered the backyard.
- Gates can be adorned with decorative patterns or motifs.
- The gate was locked to prevent unauthorized entry.
a suspended container typically used for planting flowers or trailing plants, often hung from a hook or bracket
- A hanging basket is a container with flowers that hangs from a hook.
- Hanging baskets add beauty to porches and balconies.
- Watering hanging baskets keeps the flowers fresh.
- The hanging basket on the porch was filled with colorful petunias.
- Hanging baskets add a touch of beauty to outdoor spaces.
- She watered the hanging baskets to keep the flowers vibrant.
a receptacle, often mounted on a post near the street, for receiving mail and packages from postal services
- A mailbox is a box outside a house for receiving mail.
- Mail carriers put letters and packages in mailboxes.
- You can find bills and letters in mailboxes.
- He checked the mailbox for letters and parcels every afternoon.
- Mailboxes are often personalized with house numbers or names.
- The mailbox was overflowing with holiday greeting cards.
the uppermost covering of a building, often made of various materials, providing protection from weather and the elements
- A roof is the top covering of a house.
- Roofs protect homes from rain and snow.
- Some roofs have chimneys.
- Snow collected on the roof during the winter, creating a picturesque scene.
- Roofs come in different styles, including gable, flat, and pitched roofs.
- They repaired the damaged roof after a severe storm.
a device mounted on a building or structure that receives signals from communication satellites for television or internet reception
- A satellite dish is a device on a roof to receive TV signals.
- Satellite dishes bring TV channels to homes.
- Satellite dishes need to face the right direction.
- The satellite dish on the rooftop ensured a stable TV signal.
- Satellite dishes need a clear line of sight to the sky for optimal reception.
- They installed a larger satellite dish to access more channels.
a suspended seat or platform often attached to ropes or chains, used for leisurely swinging back and forth
- A swing is a seat attached to chains or ropes.
- You swing back and forth on a swing.
- Swings are fun in playgrounds.
- Children giggled as they took turns on the swing in the backyard.
- Swings are a popular feature in playgrounds and parks.
- She relaxed on the porch swing, enjoying the gentle breeze.
a small, elevated structure built in a tree, often used as a play area or hideaway
- A treehouse is a small house built in a tree.
- Treehouses are fun places to play and hide.
- Kids often dream of having a treehouse.
- Kids built a treehouse in the old oak tree, complete with a rope ladder.
- Treehouses offer a unique perspective and connection to nature.
- They furnished the treehouse with cushions and fairy lights.
a vertical surface that forms the sides of a room or enclosure, often made of bricks, stone, drywall, or other materials
- A wall is a vertical structure that divides spaces.
- Walls are made of bricks, wood, or other materials.
- Pictures and shelves can be hung on walls.
- She hung a painting on the living room wall, adding a pop of color.
- Walls can be painted, wallpapered, or adorned with artwork.
- They installed shelves on the wall to display their book collection.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?