Places in TownThe following page has learning games and example sentences using the following 26 words from the "places in town" category:
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
an outdoor area equipped with play structures and equipment for children to engage in physical activities and games
- A playground is a place with swings, slides, and games for kids.
- Children play and have fun in playgrounds.
- Playgrounds are great places to make friends.
- Parents often take their kids to the playground to play on swings and slides.
- Playgrounds provide a fun and safe environment for children to socialize and exercise.
- They organized a picnic at the neighborhood playground for a day of family fun.
a building where law enforcement officers work, handle reports, and maintain public safety
- A police station is a building where police officers work.
- Police stations help keep the community safe.
- You can report problems or crimes at a police station.
- He visited the police station to report a lost wallet.
- Police stations are staffed 24/7 to respond to emergencies and provide assistance.
- They held a community outreach event at the local police station.
a facility where people send, receive, and collect mail and packages through postal services
- A post office is a place where mail is sent and received.
- People go to the post office to mail letters and packages.
- Post offices have mailboxes for collecting mail.
- She dropped off a package at the post office for shipping.
- Post offices offer services like stamp sales and P.O. box rentals.
- They checked their mailbox at the post office for important correspondence.
an establishment where meals are prepared, cooked, and served to customers for dine-in or takeout
- A restaurant is a place where people go to eat food they didn't cook themselves.
- Restaurants serve a variety of dishes.
- People enjoy dining out at restaurants.
- They decided to dine at a French restaurant for their anniversary.
- Restaurants often feature diverse menus and culinary specialties.
- She ordered a takeout meal from her favorite Chinese restaurant.
an educational institution where students attend classes, learn, and receive instruction
- A school is a place where students go to learn.
- Teachers teach different subjects in schools.
- Schools have classrooms and playgrounds.
- He walked to school with his backpack filled with textbooks.
- Schools provide a structured environment for academic and social development.
- They attended a parent-teacher conference at their child's school.
a large retail store where customers can purchase groceries, household items, and other products
- A supermarket is a large store where people buy groceries and other items.
- Supermarkets have aisles filled with food and products.
- People shop for their daily needs at supermarkets.
- She made a grocery list before heading to the supermarket.
- Supermarkets offer a wide range of products, from fresh produce to canned goods.
- They prefer shopping at the supermarket on weekends to stock up on supplies.
a facility filled with water for swimming, exercise, and recreation, often found in leisure centers or private properties
- A swimming pool is a place with water for swimming and playing.
- People swim and have fun in swimming pools.
- Swimming pools are refreshing on hot days.
- They spent a hot summer day at the community swimming pool.
- Swimming pools are equipped with lifeguards for safety.
- She swam laps in the indoor swimming pool for exercise.
a place of worship for the Jewish community, where religious services, prayers, and gatherings take place
- A synagogue is a place of worship for Jewish people.
- People gather at synagogues for religious ceremonies.
- Synagogues are important in Jewish communities.
- They attended the synagogue on Friday evening for Shabbat services.
- Synagogues are important centers for religious and cultural activities.
- She lit a candle at the synagogue to commemorate a special occasion.
a transportation facility where trains arrive and depart, serving as a hub for railway travel
- A train station is a place where trains arrive and depart.
- People use train stations to travel to different cities.
- Train stations have platforms and ticket counters.
- He arrived at the train station just in time to catch the express train.
- Train stations have ticket counters and waiting areas for passengers.
- They took a train from the central station to visit a neighboring city.
a complex with runways, terminals, and facilities for air travel, including the departure and arrival of flights
- An airport is a place where airplanes take off and land.
- People use airports to travel to faraway destinations.
- Airports have terminals and runways.
- She arrived at the airport hours before her international flight.
- Airports offer services like baggage check-in and security checks.
- They watched the planes take off and land at the airport observation deck.
an establishment that specializes in baking and selling bread, pastries, cakes, and other baked goods
- A bakery is a shop where bread and pastries are baked and sold.
- Bakeries smell delicious with fresh bread and pastries.
- People buy fresh bread from bakeries.
- They bought a freshly baked baguette from the local bakery.
- Bakeries often have a delightful aroma of baked treats.
- She ordered a custom cake from the bakery for a special occasion.
a financial institution where customers can deposit, withdraw, and manage their money, as well as access financial services
- A bank is a financial institution where people deposit, withdraw, and save money.
- Banks offer various financial services like loans and savings accounts.
- People trust banks to keep their money safe.
- He visited the bank to open a savings account.
- Banks provide services such as loans, mortgages, and ATM access.
- They went to the bank to discuss their investment options with a banker.
a facility where buses arrive and depart, serving as a hub for bus transportation
- A bus station is a place where buses pick up and drop off passengers.
- People use bus stations for public transportation.
- Bus stations have schedules and waiting areas.
- She waited at the bus station for her daily commute to work.
- Bus stations have designated platforms for different bus routes.
- They boarded the long-distance bus at the intercity bus station.
a shop or store where meat products, such as cuts of meat and sausages, are prepared and sold
- A butcher's shop is where people buy fresh meat.
- Butchers cut and prepare meat for customers.
- People visit butchers for high-quality meat.
- They bought fresh steaks from the local butchers for a barbecue.
- Butchers often offer a variety of meats and cuts to choose from.
- She visited the butchers to order a special roast for a family dinner.
an establishment that serves coffee, tea, light meals, and baked goods, often in a cozy and casual atmosphere
- A cafe is a small restaurant where people have coffee, snacks, and light meals.
- Cafes are cozy places to relax and chat.
- People enjoy coffee and pastries at cafes.
- They met at the cafe for a coffee and conversation.
- Cafes are popular places for studying and remote work.
- She enjoyed a slice of cake at the charming neighborhood cafe.
a place of worship and religious gatherings for Christian denominations, where religious ceremonies and services are held
- A church is a place of worship for Christians.
- People gather at churches for religious services.
- Churches are important in Christian communities.
- They attended Sunday mass at the local church.
- Churches are often characterized by architectural beauty and stained glass windows.
- She lit a candle in the church to offer a prayer for a loved one.
a facility or theater where movies are screened for public viewing, providing entertainment and cinematic experiences
- A cinema is a place where people watch movies on a big screen.
- Cinemas show the latest films and classics.
- Going to the cinema is a popular form of entertainment.
- They bought tickets to the latest blockbuster at the cinema.
- Cinemas feature a variety of films, from action to romantic comedies.
- She enjoyed popcorn and a movie at the cinema with friends.
a facility where firefighters and emergency personnel are based, and firefighting equipment is stored for rapid response to fires and emergencies
- A fire station is a building where firefighters work and respond to emergencies.
- Fire stations have fire trucks and equipment.
- Firefighters at fire stations help save lives and property.
- They called the fire station to report a smoke alarm going off.
- Fire stations play a crucial role in public safety and disaster response.
- She visited the fire station with her child for a fire safety lesson.
a service station where vehicles can refuel with gasoline, diesel, or other fuels, and often offer convenience store items
- A gas station is a place where people fill up their vehicles with fuel.
- Gas stations also sell snacks and convenience items.
- People stop at gas stations during road trips.
- He stopped at the gas station to fill up his car's tank.
- Gas stations provide a range of amenities, including restrooms and snacks.
- They found a 24-hour gas station for refueling during a road trip.
a facility equipped with exercise equipment and amenities for physical fitness and workouts
- A gym is a place where people exercise and work out.
- Gyms have equipment for strength and fitness training.
- People go to gyms to stay healthy and fit.
- She goes to the gym regularly to stay in shape and work out.
- Gyms offer a variety of fitness classes and personal training sessions.
- They signed up for a membership at the local gym to achieve their fitness goals.
a medical facility where patients receive medical treatment, surgery, and care from healthcare professionals
- A hospital is a medical facility where people receive healthcare and treatment.
- Hospitals have doctors, nurses, and medical equipment.
- Hospitals provide care for sick and injured patients.
- She visited the hospital for a routine check-up with her doctor.
- Hospitals provide emergency rooms, clinics, and specialized medical services.
- They expressed gratitude to the hospital staff for their excellent care.
a public or private institution where books, magazines, and other materials are loaned and made available for reading and research
- A library is a place where people borrow and read books.
- Libraries have a wide range of books and resources.
- Libraries encourage reading and learning.
- They spent hours at the library studying and researching for exams.
- Libraries offer quiet spaces for reading and computer access for research.
- She borrowed a stack of books from the local library for summer reading.
a place of worship and religious gatherings for followers of Islam, where prayers and religious rituals take place
- A mosque is a place of worship for Muslims.
- People gather at mosques for prayers and religious activities.
- Mosques are important in Muslim communities.
- They attended Friday prayers at the mosque in their community.
- Mosques often feature intricate architectural designs and calligraphy.
- She donated to the mosque's charity fund during Ramadan.
an institution that houses and displays artifacts, art, historical objects, and exhibits for educational and cultural purposes
- A museum is a place where people explore and learn about history and art.
- Museums display artifacts, paintings, and exhibits.
- Visiting museums is educational and enjoyable.
- They visited the museum to explore its art and history collections.
- Museums provide insights into various cultures, time periods, and scientific discoveries.
- She took her students on a field trip to the science museum.
an outdoor area, often with green spaces, trails, and recreational facilities, where people gather for leisure and relaxation
- A park is an open area with green spaces for relaxation and recreation.
- People visit parks for picnics, sports, and outdoor activities.
- Parks offer a peaceful escape from city life.
- They enjoyed a picnic in the park on a sunny weekend afternoon.
- Parks offer playgrounds, walking paths, and opportunities for outdoor activities.
- She often took her dog to the park for a game of fetch.
a retail store or facility where prescription and over-the-counter medications, as well as health-related products, are dispensed
- A pharmacy is a store where people purchase medicine and healthcare products.
- Pharmacies provide prescription and over-the-counter medications.
- People rely on pharmacies for their health needs.
- She visited the pharmacy to pick up her prescribed medications.
- Pharmacies also provide health advice and services like flu shots.
- They stopped by the 24-hour pharmacy for cough medicine late at night.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?