Plants and TreesThe following page has learning games and example sentences using the following 18 words from the "plants and trees" category:
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
a small to medium-sized woody plant with multiple stems and usually shorter in height than a tree
- A shrub is a small plant with lots of branches and leaves.
- Shrubs can be found in gardens and parks.
- Some shrubs have pretty flowers.
- They planted a beautiful flowering shrub in their garden.
- The shrub provided a natural barrier between the two properties.
- She trimmed the shrub to maintain its shape and size.
wild plants that grow in gardens, lawns, or other unwanted areas and are often considered undesirable or invasive
- Weeds are plants that grow where you don't want them to, like in your garden.
- People pull weeds to keep gardens tidy.
- Weeds can be annoying.
- He spent the afternoon pulling out weeds from the vegetable patch.
- The garden needed weeding to make it look more presentable.
- They used a weed killer to control the growth of unwanted weeds.
a type of deciduous tree with long, slender branches and narrow leaves that often droop, commonly found near water bodies
- A willow is a tall tree with leaves that hang down.
- Willows are often near water like rivers.
- Willow branches are used to make things.
- The willow tree's branches swayed in the breeze by the riverside.
- She collected willow branches to make a decorative wreath.
- They enjoyed picnicking in the shade of the majestic willow tree.
a tall, fast-growing plant known for its strong, hollow stems, often used in construction, crafts, and as a food source
- Bamboo is a strong plant that looks like long sticks.
- People use bamboo to make furniture and paper.
- Pandas like to eat bamboo.
- They used bamboo to build a sturdy fence around the garden.
- She crafted beautiful bamboo furniture for her patio.
- Bamboo shoots are a common ingredient in Asian cuisine.
a type of deciduous tree with smooth, gray bark and toothed leaves that turn golden in the autumn
- A beech tree is big with smooth gray bark and green leaves.
- Beech trees give shade and turn golden in the fall.
- Beech nuts are food for animals.
- The beech tree's leaves rustled in the gentle breeze.
- He carved intricate patterns into a beechwood panel.
- They hiked through the beech forest, enjoying the fall foliage.
a type of deciduous tree with distinctive papery bark and often triangular leaves, known for its aesthetic appeal
- A birch tree is tall with papery white bark.
- Birch trees are graceful and found around the world.
- Birch wood is used for many things.
- The birch trees stood in stark contrast to the dark forest backdrop.
- She admired the silver birch's elegant appearance in the garden.
- They planted a row of birch trees to create a natural boundary.
a succulent plant with thick, fleshy stems and spines, adapted to arid and desert environments
- A cactus is a prickly plant that stores water.
- Cacti live in deserts and can handle heat and dryness.
- Some cacti have beautiful flowers.
- They marveled at the unique shapes of the desert cacti.
- She grew cacti in pots on her windowsill as houseplants.
- Cacti are well-suited to survive in dry and hot climates.
tall wetland plants with cylindrical flower spikes and long, slender leaves, commonly found near ponds and marshes
- Cattails are tall plants with fluffy tops.
- Cattails grow in wetlands and look unique.
- Cattails provide homes for birds and insects.
- The cattails swayed gracefully in the breeze along the pond's edge.
- He used cattails in floral arrangements for a rustic wedding.
- Cattails provide important habitat for wildlife in wetland ecosystems.
a type of evergreen tree known for its aromatic wood, often used in construction and for its natural insect-repelling properties
- Cedar trees are big and have fragrant wood and leaves.
- Cedar wood is used to make furniture and more.
- Cedar trees smell fresh and nice.
- The cedar forest emitted a pleasant fragrance on a warm day.
- She stored her woolen clothes in cedar-lined drawers to deter moths.
- Cedar wood is prized for its durability and resistance to decay.
a deciduous tree with serrated leaves and a distinctive vase-shaped canopy
- An elm tree is tall with rough leaves.
- Elm trees are in parks and along streets, giving shade.
- Elm wood makes furniture and canoes.
- The elm trees provided a canopy of shade in the park.
- She admired the intricate patterns on the elm tree's leaves.
- Elms were once commonly planted along streets in many cities.
a non-flowering, green plant with delicate fronds and spores on the underside of its leaves
- A fern is a leafy plant with feathery leaves.
- Ferns grow in forests, gardens, and as houseplants.
- Ferns add green to shady areas.
- The ferns carpeted the forest floor with lush greenery.
- She decorated her home with potted ferns to create a natural ambiance.
- Ferns have a prehistoric origin and come in various shapes and sizes.
a common green plant with narrow leaves that forms the foundation of many lawns and natural landscapes
- Grass is green and covers lawns and fields.
- We walk and play on grass in parks.
- Grass needs sunlight and water.
- The grass in the backyard needed mowing after a rainy week.
- He lay down on the soft grass to enjoy the sunshine.
- Grass provides a comfortable surface for picnics and outdoor activities.
a climbing vine with dark green, lobed leaves, often used to cover walls or trellises for aesthetic purposes
- Ivy is a climbing plant with shiny leaves.
- Ivy climbs walls and trees as decoration.
- Ivy looks pretty in gardens and on buildings.
- The ivy covered the old stone wall, giving it a timeless charm.
- She carefully trimmed the ivy to maintain its neat appearance.
- Ivy is known for its ability to thrive in various environmental conditions.
a deciduous tree known for its distinctive palmate leaves and, in some species, for its sweet sap used to make maple syrup
- A maple tree is tall and has colorful leaves in the fall.
- Maple trees make sweet syrup from their sap.
- Maple leaves turn red, orange, and yellow in autumn.
- The maple leaves turned vibrant shades of red and orange in the fall.
- She enjoyed pancakes topped with delicious maple syrup.
- Maple wood is often used in furniture and cabinetry.
a small, non-vascular plant that typically grows in dense, green mats or clumps in moist and shady areas
- Moss is a tiny, soft plant in damp and shady spots.
- Moss can be found in forests and on rocks.
- Moss makes things look cozy.
- The moss-covered stones gave the garden a mystical atmosphere.
- He observed tiny creatures living among the mosses in the forest.
- Mosses play a crucial role in soil conservation and moisture retention.
a large, deciduous tree known for its strong and durable wood, as well as its distinctive lobed leaves
- An oak tree is big and strong with rounded leaves.
- Oak wood is used for furniture and flooring.
- Oak trees are symbols of strength.
- The oak tree provided a majestic presence in the park.
- She collected acorns beneath the sprawling oak canopy.
- Oak barrels are commonly used for aging wine and whiskey.
a type of tropical tree with fan-shaped leaves and typically a single, unbranched stem
- A palm tree is tall and has fan-like leaves.
- Palm trees are near beaches and in tropical places.
- Palm leaves are used for making things.
- The palm trees swayed in the gentle breeze on the beach.
- She sipped a refreshing coconut drink under the shade of a palm.
- Palm oil is a common ingredient in various food products.
an evergreen tree with needle-like leaves and often conical-shaped cones, common in many forested regions
- A pine tree is evergreen with long needles and cones.
- Pine trees stay green all year and make new trees from cones.
- Pine wood is used for building.
- The pine forest exuded a fresh scent on a crisp morning.
- He collected pine cones to use for crafting holiday decorations.
- Pine wood is used in construction and woodworking projects.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?