ShapesThe following page has learning games and example sentences using the following 13 words from the "shapes" category:
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
a symbol or shape resembling a heart, often used to represent love or affection
- A heart is a shape that looks like this â™¥ and is a symbol of love.
- When you draw a heart, you make two round parts and a point at the bottom.
- Hearts remind us of caring and affection.
- She drew a heart on the Valentine's Day card for her partner.
- He carved their initials inside a heart on the tree trunk.
- They exchanged heart-shaped chocolates on their anniversary.
a polygon with six sides and six angles, characterized by its flat, straight sides
- A hexagon is a shape with six sides and six corners.
- If you count the sides and corners of a hexagon, you'll find there are six of each.
- Hexagons can be found in nature, like honeycomb cells.
- The beehive was constructed with hexagonal cells.
- He identified the stop sign as an octagon, not a hexagon.
- They counted the hexagonal tiles on the floor of the bathroom.
a polygon with eight sides and eight angles, often used in the design of stop signs
- An octagon is a shape with eight sides and eight corners.
- Octagons have eight straight lines, and each corner is a point.
- Stop signs are often shaped like octagons.
- The patio was decorated with octagonal tiles in various colors.
- She marveled at the intricate design of the octagon-shaped window.
- They studied the geometry of regular octagons in math class.
a shape that is elongated and rounded, resembling a flattened circle
- An oval is a shape that is like a stretched-out circle.
- Ovals are round, but not perfectly round like a ball.
- Ovals are used for things like mirrors and eggs.
- The antique mirror had an ornate oval frame.
- He noticed an oval-shaped stain on the tablecloth.
- They enjoyed a game of soccer on the oval field in the park.
a polygon with five sides and five angles, often associated with military symbols and government buildings
- A pentagon is a shape with five sides and five corners.
- You can count five straight lines and five points on a pentagon.
- The Pentagon building in Washington, D.C., is a famous example.
- The Pentagon is one of the most iconic government buildings in the United States.
- She drew a perfect pentagon for her geometry assignment.
- They discussed the significance of the pentagon shape in architecture.
a four-sided polygon with opposite sides of equal length and four right angles
- A rectangle is a shape with four sides and four right angles.
- Rectangles have two long sides and two short sides.
- Books and picture frames are often rectangular.
- The book had a rectangular shape with a colorful cover.
- He used a rectangular piece of paper for his art project.
- They measured the room's dimensions and found it to be rectangular.
a four-sided polygon with all sides of equal length but with opposite angles not necessarily equal
- A rhombus is a shape with four sides of equal length and opposite angles that are the same.
- If you measure the sides, you'll find they are all the same size.
- Diamonds are often shaped like rhombuses.
- The kite he flew had a rhombus shape and vibrant colors.
- She noticed the rhombus pattern on the tiled floor of the hallway.
- They learned about the properties of rhombi in geometry class.
a half-circle or a shape resembling half of a complete circle
- A semicircle is a shape that looks like half of a circle.
- It's round on one side and straight on the other.
- You can find semicircles in things like windows and rainbow arcs.
- The semicircular bench provided a comfortable seating area.
- He admired the semicircle of colorful flowers in the garden.
- They placed the semicircular rug in front of the fireplace.
a four-sided polygon with all sides of equal length and four right angles, characterized by its symmetry
- A square is a shape with four sides of equal length and four right angles.
- All the sides of a square have the same size, and the corners are square.
- Boxes and dice are shaped like squares.
- The chessboard consisted of alternating black and white squares.
- She folded the piece of paper into a perfect square.
- They laid out square tiles to create a pattern on the patio.
a shape with multiple points radiating outward, often resembling a celestial body or a decorative symbol
- A star is a shape with five or more points that stretch out from a center.
- Stars can have different numbers of points, but they always look sparkly and bright.
- Stars twinkle in the night sky.
- The night sky was filled with countless stars, forming constellations.
- He crafted a star-shaped ornament for the Christmas tree.
- They gazed at the star-shaped fireworks lighting up the sky.
a four-sided polygon with one pair of parallel sides, often used in geometry and engineering
- A trapezoid is a shape with four sides where two sides are parallel, and the other two sides are slanted.
- Trapezoids have one pair of parallel sides, and the angles can be different sizes.
- Some road signs have trapezoid shapes.
- The roof of the building had a trapezoidal shape to accommodate solar panels.
- She solved the geometry problem involving a trapezoid.
- They measured the trapezoid-shaped field for fencing.
a three-sided polygon with three angles, often characterized by its simplicity and versatility
- A triangle is a shape with three sides and three corners.
- Each side of a triangle is called a 'side,' and the corners are 'vertices.'
- Triangles are strong shapes used in buildings and bridges.
- The pyramid was constructed with triangular sides.
- He identified the yield sign as an equilateral triangle.
- They used triangular sails for their sailboat.
a two-dimensional shape with all points equidistant from the center, often associated with perfect symmetry
- A circle is a perfectly round shape with no corners or sides.
- If you draw a circle, it looks the same no matter how you turn it.
- Wheels and buttons are often shaped like circles.
- The moon appeared as a full circle in the night sky.
- She used a compass to draw a perfect circle on the paper.
- They marveled at the circle-shaped ripples on the pond's surface.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?