SurvivalThe following page has learning games and example sentences using the following 19 words from the "survival" category:
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
a strong cord or line made of twisted or braided fibers, used for various purposes such as tying, pulling, or climbing
- We used a rope to tie the tent to the tree.
- Rope is handy for climbing and securing things.
- Make sure the rope is strong and doesn't break.
- She used a rope to secure the tent to the ground in case of strong winds.
- He tied a knot in the rope to create a makeshift leash for the dog.
- They climbed the steep hill with the help of a sturdy climbing rope.
a hand tool with a flat blade and a long handle, used for digging or moving earth, snow, or other materials
- The shovel helped us dig a hole for the campfire.
- A shovel is useful for digging and moving dirt.
- Always put the shovel away when you're done.
- She dug a hole for the campfire pit using a shovel.
- He used a shovel to clear the snow from the driveway after the winter storm.
- They buried their trash in a deep hole they dug with a shovel.
a portable insulated bag designed for sleeping in, typically used by campers and hikers
- I slept in my warm sleeping bag under the stars.
- A sleeping bag keeps you cozy while camping.
- Zip up your sleeping bag to stay warm at night.
- She crawled into her cozy sleeping bag after a long day of hiking.
- He unrolled his sleeping bag and lay down under the starry sky.
- They packed their sleeping bags for the camping trip to stay warm at night.
a portable shelter made of fabric and supported by poles or a frame, often used for camping or outdoor activities
- We set up the tent next to the river.
- A tent is like a portable house for camping.
- Make sure to stake the tent securely in the ground.
- She pitched the tent in a clearing by the river for a weekend camping trip.
- He set up a spacious tent for the family to enjoy during their vacation.
- They chose a waterproof tent to withstand potential rain during the hike.
a container designed for carrying and storing water, often used by hikers and campers
- Don't forget to fill your water bottle before hiking.
- A water bottle keeps you hydrated on hot days.
- It's essential to carry a full water bottle in the desert.
- She filled her water bottle from a natural spring in the mountains.
- He attached a water bottle to his backpack for easy access during the hike.
- They carried multiple water bottles to stay hydrated during the long trek.
a cutting tool with a sharp blade attached to a handle, used for chopping wood or other materials
- We used an axe to chop firewood for the campfire.
- An axe is a tool for cutting wood.
- Always be careful when handling a sharp axe.
- She used an axe to chop firewood for the campfire.
- He swung the axe skillfully to split logs for the cabin's fireplace.
- They brought a small axe for various outdoor tasks during the trip.
a pair of optical devices with lenses and prisms, used for viewing distant objects more clearly
- With binoculars, we saw birds in the distance.
- Binoculars help you see faraway objects up close.
- Bring binoculars for wildlife watching.
- She adjusted the binoculars to get a better view of the wildlife in the distance.
- He used binoculars to observe the birds perched high in the trees.
- They brought binoculars on the birdwatching expedition to identify species.
a navigational tool that indicates direction by aligning with the Earth's magnetic field
- The compass pointed us in the right direction.
- A compass helps you find your way in the wilderness.
- Learn how to use a compass for navigation.
- She checked the compass to ensure they were heading in the right direction.
- He used a compass to plot the course for their orienteering adventure.
- They relied on the compass to find their way through the dense forest.
a vessel with a lid, typically made of metal, used for cooking food over an open flame or camping stove
- We used a cooking pot to make soup over the fire.
- A cooking pot is great for preparing meals while camping.
- Be careful with hot pots and pans over the flames.
- She boiled water in the cooking pot to prepare hot beverages.
- He simmered a delicious stew in the camping pot over the campfire.
- They packed a lightweight cooking pot for their backcountry cooking needs.
first aid kit
a collection of medical supplies and equipment used to provide basic medical care and treatment for injuries or emergencies
- We have a first aid kit for any emergencies.
- A first aid kit contains supplies for treating injuries.
- It's important to carry a first aid kit on outdoor adventures.
- She reached for the first aid kit to clean and dress a minor wound.
- He carried a well-stocked first aid kit on all his outdoor adventures.
- They knew the importance of having a first aid kit on hand during their trips.
a portable handheld device that emits light when turned on, used for illumination in dark or low-light conditions
- The flashlight helped us find our way in the dark.
- A flashlight provides light when it's dark outside.
- Don't forget to bring extra batteries for your flashlight.
- She turned on the flashlight to search for her belongings in the tent.
- He used the flashlight to navigate through the woods after sunset.
- They brought extra batteries for their reliable camping flashlight.
a portable lantern that emits light by burning gas, commonly used for outdoor lighting while camping
- The gas lantern lit up our campsite at night.
- A gas lantern is a portable light source for camping.
- Make sure the lantern is safely positioned.
- She hung a gas lantern from the tent's ceiling to light up the interior.
- He adjusted the gas lantern's flame to create a warm and inviting ambiance.
- They relied on a gas lantern for cooking and nighttime activities at the campsite.
sturdy and supportive footwear designed for hiking and outdoor activities, often with durable soles and ankle support
- Wear comfortable hiking boots for a long trek.
- Hiking boots provide support and grip on rough terrain.
- Choose the right hiking boots for your adventure.
- She laced up her hiking boots before embarking on a challenging trail.
- He selected waterproof hiking boots to keep his feet dry in wet conditions.
- They broke in their new hiking boots by taking shorter hikes initially.
a buoyant garment designed to assist a person in staying afloat in water, often used for safety during water activities
- Wear a life jacket when kayaking on the river.
- A life jacket keeps you afloat in water.
- Safety first â€“ always wear a life jacket when boating.
- She ensured that everyone had a properly fitted life jacket before canoeing.
- He wore a bright orange life jacket while kayaking on the lake.
- They packed life jackets for the family's rafting adventure down the river.
a small device used to ignite a flame for various purposes, including lighting campfires and stoves
- Use a lighter to start the campfire quickly.
- A lighter is handy for lighting stoves and fires.
- Keep the lighter away from children.
- She used a lighter to start the campfire and provide warmth.
- He kept a reliable lighter in his backpack for emergencies.
- They shared a lighter to ignite the gas stove and prepare meals.
a visual representation of an area, often with symbols and markings, used for navigation and orientation
- We followed the map to reach our destination.
- A map shows you the way and important landmarks.
- Study the map before starting your hike.
- She unfolded the map to plan the hiking route and mark key landmarks.
- He studied the topographic map to understand the terrain before hiking.
- They relied on a detailed map to explore the vast wilderness.
small sticks coated with a substance that ignites when rubbed against a rough surface, used for starting fires
- We used matches to light the campfire.
- Matches are great for starting fires in the wilderness.
- Keep matches dry to ensure they work properly.
- She struck a match to light the campfire and create a cozy atmosphere.
- He kept waterproof matches in a secure container for camping trips.
- They shared a box of matches for various fire-starting needs.
a small folding knife with one or more blades, suitable for various tasks such as cutting, whittling, and camping
- A penknife is a useful tool for cutting and carving.
- A penknife is small and easy to carry.
- Always be careful when using a sharp penknife.
- She used her penknife to sharpen sticks for roasting marshmallows.
- He always carried a versatile penknife in his pocket during hikes.
- They found a use for the penknife in preparing food and gear.
an electronic device that receives and broadcasts radio signals, often used for communication and entertainment
- We brought a radio to listen to music at the campsite.
- A radio provides entertainment and information.
- Enjoy your favorite tunes with a portable radio.
- She tuned the radio to listen to weather updates and news while camping.
- He brought a portable radio to enjoy music while relaxing by the campfire.
- They relied on a two-way radio for communication during their remote expedition.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?