VegetablesThe following page has learning games and example sentences using the following 23 words from the "vegetables" category:
Pairs: getting ready...
- Your mission is to pair pictures with their correct titles in as few a clicks as possible.
- Click on a card to turn it. Next, try to find its partner by clicking on a second card. (If you fail to find a match with your second click, both cards will turn again.)
- This is a memory game as well as a vocabulary-learning game.
- Click on your first card to start. Good luck!
a leafy green vegetable known for its high nutrient content, often used in salads, smoothies, and cooked dishes
- Spinach is a green leafy vegetable that's really good for you.
- You can eat spinach in salads or cook it in dishes like pasta or soup.
- Popeye the Sailor loves eating spinach to become strong.
- She added fresh spinach leaves to her morning smoothie.
- He prepared a spinach and feta salad for a healthy lunch.
- They sautÃ©ed spinach with garlic as a side dish for dinner.
a type of onion with a mild flavor, typically used in salads, stir-fries, and garnishes
- Spring onions are long, thin vegetables with a white part and green leaves.
- You can chop spring onions and use them to add flavor to your food.
- Spring onions taste a little bit like regular onions.
- She finely chopped spring onions to garnish the soup.
- He planted spring onion bulbs in his vegetable garden.
- They enjoyed a noodle dish with sliced spring onions.
a red or yellowish fruit commonly used as a vegetable in cooking, often in salads, sauces, and sandwiches
- A tomato is a red or sometimes yellow fruit that people often use in salads and sandwiches.
- Tomatoes can be eaten fresh, and they're also used to make ketchup and sauce.
- Tomatoes are juicy and add a nice taste to food.
- She sliced ripe tomatoes to make a Caprese salad.
- He harvested fresh tomatoes from his backyard garden.
- They used tomatoes to prepare a homemade pasta sauce.
a root vegetable with a white or purple exterior and a slightly bitter flavor, often cooked or mashed
- A turnip is a root vegetable that can be white or purple on the outside.
- People cook turnips and eat them in stews, soups, or as a side dish.
- Turnips have a mild and slightly sweet flavor.
- She roasted turnips with herbs and olive oil for a side dish.
- He grew turnips in his vegetable patch during the fall.
- They prepared a hearty turnip and potato soup for dinner.
a tender green vegetable with long stalks and a mild, earthy flavor, often steamed, roasted, or grilled
- Asparagus is a green vegetable with long stalks and a tender tip.
- You can steam or roast asparagus and eat it as a side dish or in salads.
- Asparagus is known for its unique and delicious taste.
- She drizzled olive oil on roasted asparagus spears.
- He served asparagus with hollandaise sauce for a special meal.
- They grilled asparagus on the barbecue for a smoky flavor.
aubergine or eggplant
a purple or blackish vegetable with a smooth skin, often used in Mediterranean and Asian cuisines
- An aubergine, also called an eggplant, is a purple or black vegetable that's used in many recipes.
- Aubergines can be grilled, fried, or used to make dishes like moussaka.
- Aubergines have a rich and creamy texture.
- She made a rich and creamy aubergine parmigiana for dinner.
- He stir-fried sliced eggplant with garlic and soy sauce.
- They grew aubergines in their backyard garden.
a root vegetable with a deep red or purple color, often boiled, pickled, or roasted
- Beetroot is a dark red or purple vegetable that grows underground.
- People often slice or grate beetroot to put in salads or make pickles.
- Beetroot has a sweet and earthy flavor.
- She pickled beetroot to add to salads and sandwiches.
- He roasted beetroot with balsamic vinegar and thyme.
- They used beetroot as a natural food coloring for cupcakes.
a green vegetable with small, tree-like florets, often steamed, stir-fried, or added to pasta dishes
- Broccoli is a green vegetable with a bunch of tiny, tree-like branches.
- You can steam or stir-fry broccoli and serve it as a side dish or in pasta.
- Broccoli is full of vitamins and is good for you.
- She steamed broccoli and served it with a lemon butter sauce.
- He added chopped broccoli to his favorite stir-fry recipe.
- They grew broccoli in their backyard garden.
a leafy green or purple vegetable with tightly packed leaves, often used in salads, slaws, and soups
- Cabbage is a round or oval-shaped vegetable with leaves that are usually green or purple.
- Cabbage can be shredded and used in coleslaw or cooked in dishes like sauerkraut.
- Cabbage is crunchy and a bit sweet.
- She made coleslaw with shredded cabbage and carrots.
- He simmered cabbage with sausage in a hearty stew.
- They harvested cabbage heads from their farm.
an orange root vegetable with a sweet and earthy flavor, often eaten raw, cooked, or used in salads
- A carrot is a bright orange vegetable that's crunchy and sweet.
- Carrots can be eaten raw as a snack or cooked in soups and stews.
- Carrots are good for your eyes and are a favorite of rabbits.
- She snacked on baby carrots with hummus for a healthy treat.
- He grated carrots to add moisture to his carrot cake recipe.
- They harvested a bumper crop of carrots from their garden.
a white or colored vegetable with a head composed of tightly packed florets, often used in curries, soups, and as a low-carb alternative
- Cauliflower is a white vegetable that looks like a big flower.
- You can steam or mash cauliflower and serve it as a side dish or in curries.
- Cauliflower is a versatile and tasty vegetable.
- She made cauliflower rice as a low-carb substitute for regular rice.
- He roasted cauliflower florets with spices for a flavorful side dish.
- They enjoyed creamy cauliflower soup on a chilly evening.
a spicy pepper often used to add heat and flavor to various dishes, such as chili con carne, salsas, and spicy curries
- A chilli is a small, spicy pepper that can be red or green.
- Chillies are often used to add heat and flavor to dishes like chilli con carne.
- Be careful, too many chillies can make your food really spicy!
- She added diced red chili peppers to the spicy salsa.
- He cooked a fiery chili dish with ground beef and beans.
- They grew their own chili peppers in a small garden.
a yellow or white cereal grain with sweet kernels, often enjoyed on the cob, in salads, or as a side dish
- Corn, also known as maize, is a yellow or white vegetable that grows on a cob.
- You can eat corn on the cob or use kernels in salads and casseroles.
- Corn is a delicious and popular vegetable.
- She boiled fresh corn on the cob and served it with butter.
- He made a corn and black bean salad for a summer picnic.
- They harvested ears of corn from the farm's cornfield.
a pungent bulb used as a seasoning and flavor enhancer in a wide variety of dishes, such as garlic bread, pasta, and sauces
- Garlic is a small, white bulb made up of several cloves with a strong and pungent flavor.
- Garlic is used to add flavor to many dishes, like pasta and sauces.
- Garlic is known for its distinct and delicious taste.
- She minced garlic cloves to add to the sautÃ©ed mushrooms.
- He planted garlic bulbs in the garden for next year's harvest.
- They loved the aroma of roasted garlic in the kitchen.
a leafy green vegetable with curly or flat leaves, often used in salads, smoothies, and as a nutritious side dish
- Kale is a dark green leafy vegetable that's very good for your health.
- You can use kale in salads, smoothies, or cook it to make kale chips.
- Kale is packed with nutrients and vitamins.
- She made a kale and quinoa salad with a lemon vinaigrette.
- He blended kale leaves into his morning green smoothie.
- They sautÃ©ed kale with garlic and olive oil for a healthy side.
a leafy green vegetable commonly used as the base for salads and as a topping in sandwiches and wraps
- Lettuce is a green leafy vegetable often used in salads and sandwiches.
- You can make a fresh and crisp salad with different types of lettuce.
- Lettuce is a great choice for a healthy and crunchy meal.
- She tossed fresh lettuce leaves with tomatoes and cucumbers.
- He grew a variety of lettuces in his garden for a colorful salad.
- They used crisp lettuce as a bed for grilled chicken in wraps.
small green spherical seeds, often used as a side dish, in casseroles, or added to salads
- Peas are small, round green vegetables that come in a pod.
- You can eat peas as a side dish, add them to pasta, or mix them into fried rice.
- Peas are sweet and add a pop of color to your plate.
- She boiled peas and served them with a pat of butter.
- He made a creamy pea soup for a comforting lunch.
- They harvested peas from the garden for a springtime feast.
a fruit with a mild to hot flavor, used as a spice and seasoning in various cuisines and dishes
- A pepper, also known as a bell pepper, comes in different colors like red, green, and yellow.
- Peppers are often sliced and added to salads, stir-fries, and fajitas.
- Peppers have a mild and slightly sweet taste.
- She ground black pepper over her pasta for added flavor.
- He grew bell peppers of different colors in his vegetable garden.
- They enjoyed the smoky flavor of roasted red peppers in a salad.
vegetables or fruits preserved in a brine or vinegar solution, often served as a tangy side or condiment
- A pickle is a vegetable, like a cucumber, that's been soaked in a salty or sour liquid.
- People eat pickles as a snack or add them to sandwiches and burgers.
- Pickles have a tangy and flavorful taste.
- She placed a dill pickle spear alongside her sandwich.
- He pickled cucumbers with garlic and spices for homemade pickles.
- They enjoyed sweet and sour pickled vegetables with their meal.
a starchy tuber that is a staple in many cuisines, prepared in various ways, including mashed, fried, and baked
- A potato is a brown or yellow vegetable with a starchy inside that's used in many dishes.
- Potatoes can be mashed, roasted, fried, or made into fries and chips.
- Potatoes are versatile and delicious.
- She mashed potatoes with butter and cream for a creamy side dish.
- He harvested potatoes from the garden and stored them for the winter.
- They enjoyed crispy potato wedges as a snack.
a large, orange or yellowish squash often used in pies, soups, and roasted dishes, especially during the fall
- A pumpkin is a big, round vegetable that's often orange and used in cooking and carving.
- Pumpkins can be used to make pies, soups, and even pumpkin spice lattes.
- Pumpkins are a symbol of autumn and Halloween.
- She carved a spooky pumpkin for Halloween decorations.
- He roasted pumpkin chunks with cinnamon and maple syrup.
- They made a delicious pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving dessert.
a small, crisp, and peppery root vegetable often used in salads, as a garnish, or pickled
- A radish is a small, round vegetable that can be red, white, or purple.
- People often slice radishes and add them to salads or eat them with dip.
- Radishes have a crunchy and slightly spicy taste.
- She thinly sliced radishes to add a zesty crunch to the salad.
- He pickled radishes with vinegar and spices for a tangy side dish.
- They grew colorful radishes in their garden beds.
a leafy green vegetable with a peppery taste, commonly used in salads, sandwiches, and as a pizza topping
- Rocket, also known as arugula, is a leafy green vegetable with a peppery flavor.
- You can use rocket in salads, sandwiches, or as a pizza topping.
- Rocket adds a zesty kick to your dishes.
- She tossed rocket leaves with balsamic vinaigrette for a flavorful salad.
- He added fresh rocket to his vegetarian pizza for a spicy kick.
- They enjoyed the crunch and spice of rocket in their sandwiches.
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?